Flame arrestor >

Flame arrestor

Notices

Flame arrestor

Old 01-27-2003, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flame arrestor

I am looking into getting a flame arrestor for my boat. I am looking at the 10x3", any brand better than the other?
Old 01-27-2003, 03:53 PM
SLP

K&N builds a very good one.

SLP

Old 01-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Registered

I second K&N! Breathes well and is Coast Guard O.K.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:46 PM
Registered

I had a K&N on my old boat. Was really satisfied with it until I had a backfire and it lit up. The air cleaner was glowing like the end of a cigarette. A quick grab and a flick of the wrist put it out. I checked around and several other people reported the same experience. I talked to K&N and arrestor fires are not covered under their million mile warantee.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have K&N's and have had the same fire problem
My question is , how could the Coasties approve something like this.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gaffrig
Old 01-29-2003, 10:37 AM
1_bigdogg

You know it real funny how some companies put out that they are coast guard approved and it really isn't. The Coast Guard does not test them. What they do is adopt SAE and UL standard ratings for this purpose. For example: SAE J1929 (I not totally sure this is it) is for flame arrestors on marine engines. This means that this product has been sent to a laboratory and passed the tests required by SAE to pass as Coast Guard approved. Now if you take the element out, and put it in another body or housing your new component is no longer approved. So I can't see buying an element from say K&N and making to lids (top and bottom) and being approved. The main gist of the SAE and UL guideline is that a flame may not get past the enclosure, to be able to ignite gasses outside...so if your element starts to glow like a lit cigarette, I would think carefully before using it. Also, approved devices must marked accordingly with respect to the test procedures it passed. If not, then it is not approved.

Old 01-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

As far as I am concerned, any brand of flame arrestor works fine. The bigger 3" ers are fine for most close-to-stock motors.

I know a guy who collected everybody else's throwaway Merc units and he would hack the lids open and pop rivet them together. He would stack them about 5" high and run them.
They were actually pretty cool looking from the outside and there was minimal flow restriction internally as well. PLUS they were FREE !
Old 02-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a K/N onmy 502 mag but i had to drill a hole in adapter for the breather tube i was told not to plug it up
Old 02-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Registered

Can anyone tell me a web site where I can get the US coast guard approved gaffrig flame arresters?

Thanks,

BT

Quick Reply: Flame arrestor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.