External Steering

Notices

External Steering

Old 02-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Attached is a picture of the IMCO I had on my old Shooter. The boat was good for 75mph and I did numerous poker runs with no problems at all. I was running a Supercharged 454 magnum with a Labbed Bravo 1. Bought it used here on the board and picked up the extra parts from IMCO to make it work.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Jafo
On the new boat do you have a hydraulic helm or a cable
Old 02-10-2003, 02:16 PM
bobby daniels

mikew I've used WPM for 12 years on tons of boats ,call them direct or p.m. me and tehy are great to deal with !ask for tommy ,only out there at wpm ,909-371-8247 you will not go wrong with them they also have killer nose cones

hope this helps
ps on the slower 80mph and less boats we use single ram systems and stock helm it works great and you can add another cyl and full hyd as the funds become easier

pss/ most rams come from one of two companys

Last edited by bobby daniels; 02-10-2003 at 02:21 PM.

Old 02-10-2003, 02:21 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Tom McCann
Jafo,
Your exactly right about the pump failing. On a full hydrualic system when the pump source stops the drives stay exactly where the helm last turned the drives. You can spin the wheel in any direction and nothing happens , just like when the engine is off. On a partial set up, thats where the stock cable and rack steering are used, if the pump stops you can still steer, it is just very hard to turn the wheel.
Tom;

I can not speak from any first hand experience, but I think you are wrong on this one. I just installed Imcos' full hydraulic dual piston system. I have not yet tried the boat with the new steering due to winter. BUT, when I ordered this system, Imco assured me that if there is a case where the engine stalled, you can still steer the boat. It will simply revert to a manual steering gear, or in this case helm. Although it will be harder to steer, you still will have full control.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:15 PM
Tom McCann

check mate,
I know of some of the older helms that worked this way. If your system is installed try it out, just turn the wheel and see if you can turn the drives. Let me know if it still works with the motor off. Anyone else with a full system try the same thing and let me know. Also Let me know what make the system is. I dont want to give any one bum advise.

Old 02-10-2003, 07:41 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Tom,

I wish I could give you that information. I just installed the system after I winterized. Everything is done with the exception of mounting the rams on the plates and adding fluid. I haven't tried it out yet. It may be a while, the weather sucks here. I did call Imco about this question, they told me that the steering will work, but without power assist.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:44 AM
MikeW

checkmate454mag

Forgot to thank you for that lead on the IMCO system on E-bay. Turn into a good buy. thanks again.
MikeW

Old 02-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Priority Valve??

Anyone have info on this Priority Valve kit?
I'll have to look at my motors to see if one is just a dummy pump.
If so, the priority valve would be great...
I bought the twins with the reliability, and get ya home idea. But if my pump drive motor dies..then I have no steering... Bad Bad.
I do have the full hydraulic helm....
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 02-11-2003, 01:54 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Mike W.

You are welcome. I am glad it worked out for you.

Tim G.

You should try to contact the manufacturer of your steering system.. Mine is from Imco, they told me you can still steer even without the motor running. You would just lose the power assist.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mike w. with full hydrolic steering if you lose your power steering pump you will still be able to steer the drives it will just become harder to steer. with a cable assist steering system if you lose the power steering pump it will be very hard to steer, and you could possiably break the steering components under the dash,(the gears,or rackenpinon parts) another thing with cable assist , lets say if your running along at high rpms. and your belt comes off your pump do to lack of hydrolic pressure to the control valve the boat could make a violent turn,due to prop torque pulling the steering wheel out of your hands . that is why we at IMCO feel that boats going 75 and above should be full hydrolic, weather it be single ram or duel ram. If you have any more questions call us at IMCO NV. 702-294-3030

Quick Reply: External Steering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.