Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
External Steering >

External Steering

Notices

External Steering

Old 01-30-2003, 08:36 AM
MikeW

Question External Steering

I have some questions about external steering systems. I am going to add one to my convincor the system I am looking at is from world class marine. I am not looking a the full hydraulic system just the add on that uses the stock cable and pump. Has anyone used this system ? There was a write up on one being installed in the Dec/Jan hot Boat but nothing was said on how the system worked/ performed. I like this system because of the shorter wing span on the cylinders ( the convincor is only 7.5' beam). But how dose that affect performance. Also any thoughts on single over duel cylinders systems. This boat will never be a 80+ mph boat. 60's yes, 70's maybe but 80's no way. I was looking at a single system at first( do to cost). Can you add a ram at a later time with out having to upgrade to total system?

Old 01-30-2003, 08:46 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added Imcos' full hydraulic steering to my 259 Convincor. It was an easy install. I was afraid of not having enough room to mount the helm, but it turned out there was just enough room. I looked into adding the half system like you are thinking about. When I posted that question on this board I got many responses saying that the half system tends to be hard to turn while at idle speeds ( such as docking ). However, some guys were able to enlarge the orifice in the pump to allow greater flow at idle which helped this condition. I would suggest the full system if you can do it.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:03 AM
MikeW

Thanks for the feed back checkmate454mag

Who has the best pricing? CP seem to be the cheapest with a WPM system at $1,299.99 single and $2,100.00 dual. again this is add on systems

MikeW

Old 01-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed a single ram WPM add-on system on my Baja 24 outlaw 2 seasons ago. The system works fine - no hard steering for me at any speed.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Just purchased a single WPM tie in system from RW Marine in Etters, PA for 1200. He was the cheapest on my procharger also and is very dependable. Always seems to have time to help with tech questions. He advised this is the easiest system to install at the best price. Have not installed, but looks pretty simple. All seems to be of highest quality.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:39 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Look at what I found on E-Bay...It is the assist system, but it is brand new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=31283
Old 01-31-2003, 06:42 AM
Registered

I just bought a dual ram setup that was used on twi outboards. I plan on using it on a Bravo. It has the hydrolic helm. Do I still use the power steering pump and the internal Merc steering in this setup?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Tom McCann

MikeW
The steering your talking about will work just fine. A single ram plumbed into your stock steering rack using a brazil manifold. I know of a 26 eliminator with a 900hp, Bmax Drive that uses this set up, only differance is he uses dual rams by Imco. If your only doing around 70 or 80 the single ram will work just fine. The full system is nice but the cost is high, it would be over kill for your application.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:15 PM
MikeW

I bought one of two units that guy had on E-bay that checkmate454mag posted. It is a new Imco Dual SA-2. $1550.00 with shipping was the same cost as a new single ram system. I have an 1990 bravo 1 so I need the Fitting for the Saginaw unit. It is Imco part FA23 need two of them. any one know what the thread size these fittings are?
MikeW

Old 02-06-2003, 03:43 PM
Registered

Friendship 1 If you have a manual helm no you do not use a power pump. You might want to look for a power helm usally cheaper then a manual helm. Maybe you could find a swap.
good luck

Quick Reply: External Steering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.