InnerCooler ?

Notices

InnerCooler ?

Old 02-05-2003, 11:44 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but, I am on the fence in regards to removing my Superchiller. This would be for the same reason as Paradigm indicated, keeping the hatch intact without going to a scoop. Presently have the hatch built up (raised) to accomodate the height of everything and want to put it back to normal. My situation is slightly different. I am running a 496 Stroker, single 1050, Superchiller, B&M 250, 5 lbs boost, and 8.4:1 compression. Removing the chiller would increase boost as there would be less restriction. Increase boost to what, I don't know.
I could install a larger blower pulley to get it back to 5 lbs or preferably leave it as is with the pulley that's already on there.
I understand that I will be removing my safety margin (chiller), but will I be in trouble if I do? How much heat am I generating at 5 lbs and would bringing it down to maybe 4 lbs, less chiller, even be a reasonable option?
Any replies are appreciated.
Thanks, Russ
Old 02-05-2003, 02:33 PM
blown1500

RLW,
If you take off the intercooler, be sure to check ALL EIGHT (8) spark plugs. You may have one or two in trouble and the rest look fine. I like to run two small carbs, like maybe 450 Holleys instead of any big carb. Call Holley or look in their catalogue and they recommend two caarbs to even the fuel distribution. Jegs had the carbs new for about $175.00 each!! There tricks you can play with these to get better fuel economy, too!! Blower tops aren't very expensive, either. Think about it!!

Old 02-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RLW:

You could go to a whipple intake with built in innercooler but they are not cheap. That is the only way I could innercool because the hatch will not be cut or I will be cut off if you get my drift.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:19 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke with Brad Nickerson and he said No Problem removing chiller. As stated above, it is the higher boost levels that are the concern. My 5 lbs of boost plus the 8.4:1 compression ratio would yield an effective compression ratio of approximately 11:1 .
I am told, that compression ratio (11:1) is the cut off point for pump gas (92 octane).
I like the idea of the Whipple chiller but don't want to spend any more money than necessary. Just use what I have. I am contemplating mounting the carb sideways to improve fuel distribution.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like me. I am actually running less than 8:1 cr so I'm not far from that 11:1 FCR you are. I think it depends on how hard and long you run. I know I am OK on short runs my concern is if I run it hard for to long a period. Also desert heat during the summer. I have ran it at 4500rpm for about 20mins no problem but never that long WOT. Wife wouldn't let me anyway. I probably don't need the extra power or safety margin from meltdown I would just be gong through Bravo's then! Not counting the fuel!