Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
pulse drive on 30' to 32' cat ??? >

pulse drive on 30' to 32' cat ???

Notices

pulse drive on 30' to 32' cat ???

Old 02-05-2003, 11:36 AM
tunnelvision

if trim position was and should be parallel,and the rudders are attached and hinge at the front (front&top)wonder if you could drill & tap where it tappers back in the rear at the top. only thinking out loud, and by no means drying to knock psi. looks like great equip. i would be proud to own.can see it now ,on a trailer w/those drives,& JUST THINK ABOUT THAT ROOST THAT THING WOLUD LEAVE AT AT 115+ WITH TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2003, 12:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

posted bt Rik
How are you going to tie all those rudders together?
If you look at their website you'll see two configurations of the single prop drive. One has two rudders and the other has one offset rudder. With the offset rudder, it's in line with the thrust coming directly off the blades.
I'm assuming to which side it's offset depends on direction of rotation.
With two single rudders you don't worry about trying to tie four together. Alignment would be simple.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing to think about is based on Iggys suggestion about the rudders being offset for the rotation. Don't alot of guys like to switch the direction of the props (in or out) depending on corse & or condition of the lake. Would the rudder's be permanent as to where they are mounted, or can they be switched? At any rate, I would LOVE to see a cat in this size w/ these props. I think they make the boat look very mean!

Old 02-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question:
Do the props on a twin Pulse Drive setup counter rotate? I hadn't noticed.
Does the engine have to have reverse rotation for the prop to run left hand? Or is it done with the transmission?
Being surface piercing, do they have the same effect as submerged props (stern or bow lift) depending on direction of rotation?
Old 02-06-2003, 09:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by PSI that the ZF tranny's are rated for full power in either direction. So, yes, the props can be counter rotated. Also changing rotation would be just a matter of switching the props from one drive to the other and changing the transmission linkage to alter the rotation of the tranny.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything other than a single rudder installation will have to be tied together for the boat to handle properly, especially when everyone has stated speeds of over 100.

The ZF 630A Gear has a 6" drop to it. You will either need an additional drop box or a very wide sponson in order to get the engine down into the boat.