Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
pulse drive on 30' to 32' cat ??? >

pulse drive on 30' to 32' cat ???

Notices

pulse drive on 30' to 32' cat ???

Old 02-03-2003, 01:41 PM
tunnelvision

Default pulse drive on 30' to 32' cat ???

HAS ANYONE EVER DONE OR SEEN A MID SIZE CAT W/PULSE DRIVES ?? HOW DOES OR WOULD IT RUN ??

Old 02-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also thinking about that. And the install, what happens to the swim platform, is it made to be wider to cover the big tunnel or does it get eliminated and the steering is in drives?
Old 02-03-2003, 06:06 PM
tunnelvision

WONDERED IF 2 SEPERATE UNITS WOULD WORK? DO YOU HAVE TO RUN SOME SORT OF TIE BAR BECAUSE OF THE SPEED? SUPOSE WITH THAT TYPE OF DRIVE , A TUNNEL TAB WOULDN'T BE OF ANY USE

Old 02-04-2003, 06:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an observation, based on information from their site, I'd say a tunnel boat would have two single systems.
A tie bar wouldn't be needed because each system is self contained. Remember, the drives only move up and down, they use rudders for turning.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I talked to PSI about putting Pulse Drives on my ChrisCat. They said it would two of the 1750 units. There would be no tie bar need because Pulse Drives use rudders to steer. They use a 630 transmission that they send to Huber to beef up. I asked Tony if they had done any cats in the 30' foot range and he said they had not. He did say they have done some 50' cats though.
Looks like a viable option but I would like to see it on a similar application.

mike
Old 02-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PSI Drives

I had the pleasure of touring the PSI facility last week.
The pulse drive is one heck of a product. They sure do have it worked out...
I'm quite confident that two seperate 1750s will get that boat moving as good as #6 drives, and for far less cash!!

The Pulse Drives are almost Zero maintenance. Their trannys are tough enough for you to just leave the throttles mashed (assuming you have good rev limiters).
Spend a little time talking with Tony. He wouldn't steer you wrong.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 02-04-2003, 11:34 AM
tunnelvision

YES I'VE SEEN THE RUDDER SYS. JUST WONDERING WITH THE SPEED ( JUST GUESSING 2/700-750 HP. MTRS. ) 115-125 mph. WOULD YOU NEED TO TIE THE RUDDERS TOGETHER SOMEHOW? ANYONE KNOW WHAT SPEED , HIGHEST , THAT HAS BEEN ATTAINED BY A PULSE DRV.?

Old 02-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

When I talked to Tony at PSI he did some speed calulations (guesses?) and he thought I would be in the 120's and he did not mention a tie bar.

mike
Old 02-05-2003, 11:11 AM
tunnelvision

talked to Frankie at PSI yesterday, mentioned the tie-bar quest. she said shouldn't need it. here's why i wondered about it, at around 120-125mph. a .75-1.25 degree missalignment would scub off at least 5-7mph(strictly speculating)at top speed. she said to her knowledge , fastest application to date was a eliminator or daytona that went around 100. never talked to tony .

Old 02-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are you going to tie all those rudders together?

You will need some sort of a mechanical tie bar arrangement to connect the rudder tiller arms together or else you will have a very difficult time keeping things aligned.

Quick Reply: pulse drive on 30' to 32' cat ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.