Low water pick-up? >

Low water pick-up?

Notices

Low water pick-up?

Old 02-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

formulafastech,

Did the same thing. I never had a boat with low water pickups until the '33. Didn't know it had 'em either until leaving a sandbar where we hang out. Hoses we're packed solid. Took about 8 hours to get everything cleaned out. I wanted to switch to mid pickups, but as I posted earlier, they seem to be no longer available. Guess I'll have to walk the boat on from a lot further out
Old 02-14-2003, 12:40 AM
red racer

Wow.... This sucks...

What is the bottom line... Plug the lower holes????

Go back to old technology without the lower water pick-ups. This would add some fixes - the new drive doesn't have my old nose cone - so add the cone and change the pick-up at the same time.

Old 02-14-2003, 06:37 AM
Registered

formulafastech

Yep, 8 hours. The joy of twins . From what I'm reading, I guess sea-strainers would be useless. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a pair of used housings. Anybody got any?
Old 02-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Canada Jeff
A little bit of advice, do not try to run you bravo in gear in the trailer position! Real hard on the u joints.
you're right about that jeff, only i think i would say even out of gear can do about as much damage (on a bravo setup any way) sense the cv joint is before the clutch it's always spinning when ever the engine is.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally posted by bajadude
formulafastech

Yep, 8 hours. The joy of twins . From what I'm reading, I guess sea-strainers would be useless. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a pair of used housings. Anybody got any?
I have 2 2001 empty lower cases, I think I'm keeping one because I have the Bravo performance with low water pick up but will sell the other for 200
Old 02-19-2003, 07:56 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Question Drill a LWP housing?

Seems like you should be able to drill a set of mid pickups into a LWP housing, since the water passages are the same. Since you are pulling most of your water in through the LWP at speed, the mid pickups are just acting as a relief valve of sorts, so you shouldn't need the "vanes" that you see on the stock cases. At one time I was in the market for a Bravo drive, and one of the sellers whom I was talking to said that he could plug the LWP and drill a set of mid pickups by using a stock mid-pickup Bravo as a template. Ended up buying a different drive, so I never saw it done.