GM roller lifters w/ aftermarket cam?

Notices

GM roller lifters w/ aftermarket cam?

Old 02-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ratchet,

To answer your question - I'd like to hear from somebody who
has put the GM lifters w/ a 741 and put some hours on it. I could be way wrong here, but my guess would be that the GM lifters have had more durability testing than all of the aftermarket manufacturers combined.

I don't have a crate 502, just looking at it as a possibility in a marine application. It appears the Crane 741 cam is a very popular choice for a marine 502 and I wanted to know if the GM lifters would work. It just seems like a waste of money to buy a 502/502 shortblock and pay for the factory roller setup that comes already installed in the shortblock and then pull it out and put it on the shelf or try and sell it. Also, I am still not sure why the cam that comes w/ the 502/502 is not considered a good choice for a marine application. It would seem that with the proper exhaust, it would work quite well and is not that much different than the HP500 cam.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:59 AM
bobby daniels

BGIII ,I think I'm wasting my typing but here we go again ,
yes the 741 works great in a boat !if you don't think theres a problem with the 502/502 then use it ! why do you think all these people keep talking about the 741 and their running it or something else ,not because they wanted to spend the money .
The camwill work of corse just not as well ,not even close ,blown 1500 has one that works even better

Just be sure you have a MK. 4 block or you have to order a cam for a mk6
good luck !!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill you putting the cart before the horse ???or did you buy that AT????
Old 02-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Tom McCann

There are alot of combinations that work, but hey lets face it, us offshore guys are never satisfied. If your one of those guys that can buy an offshore boat with a 330 then god bless you. Your going to save alot of money through your boating career. As for the majority of us a 502 is fine untill your wide open and following someone. When you hit 70 your looking for 80 when you hit 80 your looking fot 90. It never ends. I just built my motors and was so excited to hear them run. I got to the dock and heard another boat that was going pop pop pop ,you performance guys know the noise I'm talking about, about 1000hp of supercharged bigblock. and x that by 3 and oh my, there aint nothing getting my attention at that point. The only thing that would top that would be if there was a naked chick sitting on top of the center motor. I guess my point is its just a matter of what you want out of the motor. There are alot of good motor combos out there. A 330 is a good motor, but not if you want 100. Hope I didnt affend anyone with the chick remark. Sorry if I did. I just got excited thinking of all that bigblock.

Old 02-25-2003, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BGIII -- I have a little bit of an answer for you. The cam for the 502/502 is the same cam Dennis recommended to me for my motors. It is just a little bigger than the stock cams in my motors, but Dennis said it should be good for another 25hp or so. The flip side is you can still use the stock valve springs b/c the lift is still not huge. I have all the specs on that cam at the house. PM or e-mail me if you want more info.