Engine start up on stand >

Engine start up on stand

Notices

Engine start up on stand

Old 02-20-2003, 06:12 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done it both ways.. on a cart and a stand!! The stand was home made and excessivly heavy duty, but the chain was added to the overhead I beam for a Just in Case. I have used outboard six gallon tanks with the proper hose to the fuel pump.
I also just toss in a spare HEI GM distributor for the ignition, but I was just test firing the motor, not checking the boat wiring..

Good luck and be safe, by all means.

Dick
Old 02-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is interesting OC Barry. I have done this a number of times in my garage, with a metal gas can sitting on the concrete. Never considered static. Everything worked fine. This weekend I have two engines to do in my shop. Everything is ready, first engine bolted in to 4x4 cradle and plastic gas can ready to go. Doahhhh. I guess you are saying I should use a metal can instead? This shop has a wood floor, so metal can will not be grounded anyway. Really no good ground close by other than the electric service ground. What does everyone recommend? Maybe ground gas can to engine? Advise welcomed as I'm askeart of the fire god!!

BT
Old 02-21-2003, 05:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Well B.T. since you live right up the bay from me, I have a vested interest in you not creating another atmospheric explosion.

Yes, you should go with the metal tank. On the plastic issue, there are even corporate warnings in big companies for their people not to fuel plastic gas can in the pickup bed of a truck with a liner. This too can (and has) cause a disturbance reminicint of the shuttle disaster.

What boat are you running. You'll have to come to O.C. this summer and run in the ocean with us.

Barry ('38 Cig. Top Gun, supercharged 750's)
Old 02-21-2003, 07:53 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not see how this is any different then running a outboard any day of the week either on or off the boat as far as this static thing is concerned. If you go to most stores all they sell for outboards is plastic cans. Wouldn't the same danger exist?

I also just use the chain as a safty and NOT to sapport the engine.

Jon
Old 02-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply OC and Audiofn. I think I will switch to the metal can to be safe. I too have heard to put your gas can on the ground at the gas station and to not leave it in the trunk or on bed. Both are insulated from ground through your tires. Even the metal going through wood to ground will probably prevent any static build up.

OC.. I run a 30' Scarab Panther. Make it to the C&D often, but have never ventured down the Delaware Bay. May try it this year, we will see. Depends on how well I did over the winter on my engine projects. Do you ever make it to the Chesepeake Inn? We go there a lot.

Thanks again,

BT
Old 02-22-2003, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Running motor on stand.

Running any motor on a stand is a little risky.
I know that you cannot wait to hear the bad boy run but do take a few minutes to get your arrangement as safe as possible.
It will only take you a few minutes longer and may save you from getting hurt or burned.
I run all motors on the ground before I install them.
I do take the time to block the motor and support it so there is no rocking at all. Some guys use a small support stand that they make up just for that purpose.
Take the time to get your fuel supply as safe as possible, have a fire extinguisher near by. You can also attach a push button starter swith to the starter and not have to play around with a screw driver.
My goal is to run them on the ground and identify any major oil leaks, fuel leaks, water leaks, engine wraps and valve train noises and so on.
When the big guys test a motor it is on a Dyno and they run the motor through a series of tests and know precisley what they have before they drop it in the boat.
Good Luck
Brian
Old 02-22-2003, 06:52 AM
Registered

Yes, take your time. I used to just set the engine on a pallet and support from an engine hoist. That is quite a thrill. This time it is in a cradle that mimics being in the boat, engine mounts and all, with all proper gaging. The cradle is then lagged to the floor. Should be much more relaxing today. My primary purpose for this is getting the engines through a heat cycle so I can retorque the aluminum heads. But I will also be breaking in new cams and checking for all the problem areas.

BT