Engine start up on stand

Notices

Engine start up on stand

Old 02-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Registered

Location: Solomons Island, MD, Vero Beach and Punta Gorda, FL
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Engine start up on stand

Looking for advice on starting up Gen V (changed to carbs) on a external stand. Not sure about ignition and wiring. Should I just disconnect the wiring harness from distributor and coil and wire separatly. If so do I need the Ignition module wired? Any advice is appreciated. Looking at wire diagram now.

Thanks

Ed
Old 02-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really want the full harness to be installed. I've seen glitches in the stock harness that would have been a bear to diagnose in the boat. Get the plug and a harness and wire that up to a panel. Install a ignition switch, oil pressure, tach, and temp gauges. Take the alternator belt off so you don't have to worry about zapping it.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:54 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I have fired up a few Merc. motors while they were bolted into their shipping crates. All you have to do is hook up a battery to the starter positive side, ground to the engine, supply a switched 12 volt power to the #5 terminal ( ignition- purple wire) on the stock Merc. main harness plug. Then use a start button from the positive battery terminal of the starter to the start wire on the starter. Guages are nice, but it will run like I described.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Don't forget to hook up the water hose to the input side of the seapump.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the hose is important!!!

I run mine like Checkmate has described. Got to Napa and get some battery cables for like 20 bucks and that will make it a bit safer. If you want to you can use a screwdriver to jump the possitive relay on the starter. Just use a jumper up to the + (purple wire). I start it up and when I want it to shut off I just pull off the wire. I also take a chaine and run it up to the rafters as a safty.

Jon
Old 02-17-2003, 09:23 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Audio;
I like your chain idea for safety. I never thought of that. It gets a little scary cracking the throttle open with the motor just sitting there in the crate. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with Checkmate, but let me add something else.

We've test fired my blower motors in my garage several times successfully. Where I've seen people have problems is in the temporary fuel supply. People tend to think of this at the last minute and the results can be disastrous. I took an old aluminum 3 gallon fuel tank (GROUNDED!!!) and made a free - standing stand out of 1-1/4 angle. It works great.

Now if you think that's a waste of time, a very good friend of mine suffered second degree burns by using a plastic fuel cell. A static electricity spark ignited the tank. The dyno room burned up as well. Plastic tanks can spark very easily.

So I don't want to sound like Mr. Safety here, but you wouldn't go into a bordello without a pocket full of............ or would you?

Barry
Old 02-18-2003, 08:48 AM
blown1500

Hello, Guys!
I used to teach high school. Two of my students built a 396 BBC per my advise. They couldn't wait to fire it so they rigged it to start on the stand. One broke both legs when he rapped the gas. The advise about fire is absolutely necessary. I would be afraid to start the engine with just a chain from overhead. If you must start the engine out of the boat, BE VERY CAREFUL and think before you try it

Old 02-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Registered

Location: Solomons Island, MD, Vero Beach and Punta Gorda, FL
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks to all for your help. It doesn't sound that difficult but let me add that I did purchase one of these stands that is supposed to have all guages, place for gas tank, battery etc. (longhord Manufacturing in Texas).

Ed
Old 02-18-2003, 09:25 AM
blown1500

GOOD MOVE on the engine stand!! I feel better, now

Quick Reply: Engine start up on stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.