Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Ho w/procharger >

496 Ho w/procharger

Notices

496 Ho w/procharger

Old 02-19-2003, 09:22 PM
tfairweather

Unhappy Drive Exaggeration???

Dustin, you said the drive issue is sooo over exaggerated and believe me I hope it is true.. I have a 2002 29' Warlock with the 496 HO they put a bravo 1 on it and it granaded into pieces at Havasu, with only 30 hours on the boat! Mercury thank God fixed it under warranty but they would only give me an X drive. I heard they are a little better? My Question to you is will this drive hold up bolting on the SC on this engine??? I seriously am considering buying your charger but scared to death about the drive breaking and how much it would cost me to upgrade the drive to having XR parts. When it broke I tried through Mercury to upgrade they wouldn't let me.

Old 02-19-2003, 09:58 PM
tfairweather

Oh yeah Dustin were you guys at The LA Boat show ? I looked all over for you guys?

Old 02-19-2003, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reckless288, yup, we've been shipping for a bit now. Got a couple units in stock.

tfairweather, were not at the boat show, but you can see some of our stuff around there, there's a 496 kit in Teagues booth. As for your drive, pretty amazing you broke one that quick, but Mercury did warranty it. You mentioned an X drive, do you mean a XZ? Both are upgrades and are better than stock. I'm very confident that the drive will hold the power. Certain boats can have an effect on the drive, but I would really have to assume that something was wrong in your stock drive with that power level. Did you ever hit the drive on anything? Did they say what failed?

Honestly, for me to do the computer testing properly, I have to do full, 100% acceleration test, from idle to redline. If I don't get it right the first time or the 10th time, I have to do it again. It's just something that has to be tested and like I said, I've only broken one drive and that was a stock drive with 1000hp on our 25 cat, lasted 2 years. I'm not sure this is much help, but if you have a XZ, you should have plenty of long term boating without trouble. I do know of a handful of similar Warlock boats with stock drives that are still going.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 02-20-2003, 11:21 AM
tfairweather

Dustin, thanks again for the quick response. My drive is not an XZ drive I do know that for a fact. The X drive is the replacment for the Bravo 1 drive, I believe they did this after 2001. Whats wierd is I even heard (FROM MERCURY) that the bravo 1 is not supposed to go with 496HO?? Needs to be a X-Drive or a XZ or XR! when I was at the boat show I saw IMCO and they were aware of this and he told me the X drive has some better parts than the bravo 1.
I know for a fact I did not hit anything I was doing like 70MPH and had it all trimmed out all the out and BOOM Rocks in a Blender!?!?!?!?! No they never told me what failed!
Dustin this is alot of money and I just want to sure that I do everything right on putting this system in. I will be dick broke after this but if it puts a smile on my face or like you said an ear to ear grin that will be cool... Oh is the black coating SC 6495.00?

Old 02-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to wait on the blower.

I know that Tyler Crockett is real close to releasing a 496 HO kit.
I believe it will be close to 600hp and 600ft/lbs.

Sounds like it will be really nice.

Jan
Old 02-20-2003, 03:42 PM
bobby daniels

Yep,thats what I want to be is someones guinie pig

Go with the whipple its a proven winner !!!
AMBUSHER had a O S O sale on WHIPPLES I think

Last edited by bobby daniels; 02-20-2003 at 03:50 PM.

Old 02-20-2003, 05:02 PM
Registered

Island Hopper
I know there are a lot of happy procharger guy's out there, but unless you have someone around you that is reputable and has done some of them, you might want to consider the whipple. I installed one last year and am very happy with it. I installed it myself, and it took awhile to get everything right, but works great.
When is the last time the procharger guy's were here giving advise in any way. From the post that I have read, when guy's call into Procharger for tech support, they get 3 different people and 3 different answers.
I can tell you for sure, when you call Whipple for tech support, you don't talk to 3 different people. When you call Whipple and ask for support, everyone there sends you to Dustin. Now if we could clone Dustin, because he gets really busy. I talked to Dustin many times last year, because I had problems with ECU programming and a bad fuel pump. But at least I had good tech support to get me going, and not blow any thing up.
I chose to go with and XR upper and IMCO lower, so now I have a spare Bravo1 just incase. However a friend has been using a whipple for 4 years now and a Bravo1 with about 200-250 hours and had no drive problems as of yet. The X drive has the same upper as the XZ, but has the stock 1" Bravo prop shaft, and I think that is the only difference. But the upper is where most people have problems from what I read. You will want to take it easy out of the hole to save the drive.
Good luck
Old 02-20-2003, 06:12 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Well put 28Eliminator, I also run a procharger with 224 trouble free hrs, But it's been that way because of proper set up. Dustin sells a great product with hrs of proper testing. The suport is also fantastic, And yes He has helped me out even though I have a procharger. It shows you the kind of good guy he is.
Claude
Old 02-21-2003, 01:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tfairweather, I totally understand, if you want to stay safe, put a bigger pulley on to start out, but I'm confident in the motor and that power level is not too much for the drive for most boats and drivers. Also, from what Rockie said, you have a XZ style upper which is where all the problems are. Propshafts are rarely a problem, so thats good news. Black is 6695.

Jan, there is no comparison on the 496, our package makes over 700lbs. of torque and 625+hp, closer to 640. Forget out of the hole, at any one time, hit that throttle, no comparison to naturally aspirated. Also, the ECU has to be reprogrammed, I'm the only person that can do that, and you can't make that much power out of a stock engine without redoing the ECU. I think your refering to the GM style 496 which has the MEFI4. Also, for the investment, the supercharged dollar for dollar is far more economical than upgrading naturally aspirated.

Rockie, damn it, don't give my name out!! Just kididng. Hope things are going well. Snow's gotta be pretty thick at this point up there!

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 02-21-2003, 07:35 PM
Registered

Oh,Oh,Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to use the code name (OH supercharge GOD). LOL
I just read my post and realized I was pumping you up man, but I really appreciate all your help, personally and here on OSO as well. We don't have any snow, but we are suppossed to get some over the weekend. We need snow or rain really bad. I definitely prefer rain. I stoped at the lake we go to last week and it was about 14 ft low. That means we can only launch our boat at one marina which will get really, really busy. I think the north east is getting all of the moisture.

Jan you will love the acceleration. forget the HP and look at the TORQUE, because that is what makes the boat go fast.

Quick Reply: 496 Ho w/procharger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.