Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Ho w/procharger >

496 Ho w/procharger

Notices

496 Ho w/procharger

Old 02-23-2003, 07:11 AM
FishinFool

What is the difference between a Pro-charger and a Whipple charger in the way the work?

Old 02-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both are superchargers...
Old 02-23-2003, 07:23 PM
FishinFool

So do they both work in the same way? Same type componenets?

Old 02-24-2003, 06:42 AM
Registered

Pretty much. Whipple does more with the ECU I believe but he can explain better than I can.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Registered

Whipple is a screw supercharger. With the Whipple you get boost as soon as you hit the throttle. Procharger is a centrifugal supercharger. With the procharger the amount of boost created is increased as RPM’s go up. Some will say the procharger is softer on the outdrive since it does not have a lot of torque at the low RPM but I see more drives breaking while they are running hard verse. When making your decision look at the room you have in your engine room & see if either or both kits will fit without doing major remodel of your boat.

The above posts are correct about procharger tech support. You will get better support here then from procharger.

If you do a search on "procharger" or "Whipple" you will find a lot of threads with good infromation.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:17 PM
tfairweather

Dustin, what's the norm on the install charge (rough Estimate)?? for the 496 HO SC in a 29' Warlock World Class??

I live in Orange County and there saying to have Gary Teague at GT Marine in Montclair to do it ?

Has ANYONE bought this 496ho SC kit and tried it out yet??

Anyone Anyone??? Feed back ??

Old 02-26-2003, 01:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tfairweather,

Anywhere from $800-1500 depending on complexity of boat, type of extras, etc but I would estimate for the 29, $1200. GT does a wonderful job.

As far as difference goes, centrifugals such as Procharger have a steady increase in boost as rpm increases assuming you go WOT. This gives you good peak power because centrifugals are pretty efficient, but very little lower rpm torque. Screw compressors (positive displacement) offer the same efficiency levels as a centrifugal if not higher, so peak power will be the same boost for boost, but will generate near full boost at WOT at virtually any RPM. This gives you far more torque for much quicker acceleration and throttle response. This is not only at WOT, but part throttle as well. Also very noticeable at any rpm, whether it's 4500 or 2000, even getting on plane is far more noticeable.

Some think this is harder on the drive, but your in control of the throttle, if you want to simulate a "centrifugal" boost curve, you can creep into the throttle much slower. It's better to have the power in reserve when needed.

Fuel systems, customer service, quality, etc. are all a totally different subject.

Dustin
Old 04-17-2003, 04:41 PM
tfairweather

Cool 496 Ho Stage 1 and Stage 2

Just wondering if anyone on OSO has tried the Whipple Stage Kits yet would like some feed back???

Dustin if your out there I would like to ask you if I do the stage 2 first and then later want to Super Charge it is it any cheaper??

Old 04-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Registered

Default Whipple STAGE 2 kit

Me and my friend have both 496 mag and a 496 mag HO both with the Stage 2 upgrade and 120 degree stat. The 496 mag showed more increase. I have a Checkmate 240ZT wit the MAG and I gained 2-3 mph with a 26 4 blade bravo labbed prop. RPM were about 4700. The other boat is a 25 Baja Outlaw with the HO and it gained 1-2 mph. running a 25 stock Mirage Plus. Both engines seem to run cleaner. We both noticed way less soot on our transoms. I think it was worth it. Next winter I think I may go with a new cam kit Dustin is offering.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:31 AM
tfairweather

Fast Enough, Thanks for the Input I really appriciate it. I hear you about the transom soot I hate that. Are you talking about going stage 3 or 4? How long and how hard was it to install the stage 2 kit?

Quick Reply: 496 Ho w/procharger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.