Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mercruiser Overheat Problem >

Mercruiser Overheat Problem

Notices

Mercruiser Overheat Problem

Old 02-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Offshore Addiction

ck the inlet of the coolers for debree,ck thermostat ports and make sure there clear,put a manuel water pressure gauge on it so you can tell if its pressure loss,or possibly just a leaking head gask!!

Old 02-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,906 Likes on 959 Posts

Open the drain cocks on your engine block and make sure water flows easily out them. If it doesn't, it could be an indication that there is a lot of sad that has accumulated in the block.
Just another free and easy thing to check.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Baja Bopp

I think I found the problem. I was going to replace the manifolds like everyone suggested. There was a pair on EBay and a phone number for questions. I called the guy, he said that the manifolds weren't the problem. He was sure that the raw water pipe would have sediment right behind the fitting that comes in from the out drive. There wasn't sediment there, instead the end of the tube was crushed and mangled. I dont know how the thing ever got water.

The reason that I say, I think I fixed the temp problem is because while I was out testing it the drive coupler let go........

Anybody want to buy a boat.......

Gene Bopp

Old 02-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not baja bopp, the coupler problem this boat apparently has may have indirectly cause overheat problem (ie crushed hose). When installing an engine the hose is usually dangling down in the bilge while the engine is lowered. If not careful, the end of the hose can get crushed under the motor mount. I have done that before.

So, if this coupler thing has happened before, but the engine was not aligned properly, you get another bad coupler out of the deal and an engine to pull. Unfortunately Gene, this is exactly how many of us became knowledgable about boats...

Good luck,

BT
Old 02-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baja Bopp,
It is all part of boating.
Keep in mind that you have several viewers that are on this web site for the shear love of powerboating.
Also keep in mind they are willing to offer advice free of charge.
ANYBODY CAN GO OUT AND BUY AN NEW BOAT BUT NOT JUST ANYONE CAN MAKE AN OLD BOAT LIKE NEW!
Good luck
Brian
Old 02-26-2003, 01:45 AM
Baja Bopp

My boat is a 1990. That plastic fitting that is bolted to the big metal tube that appears to run though the transom is actually just a big tube with a small plastic tube inside of it. What Profile (above post) said is what can happen. Salt water causes corrosion between the plastic hose and the metal casing and closes off the water inlet. In my case, the end of the hose was all bent and mangled. I don't know if I had the corrosion problem, but it definitely was blocked. I couldn't get a small Philips screw driver in the hole. I ground the plastic away to make the hose normal sized again and my heat problem seems to be fixed. At least for now.

Gene