Intake and carb for 454/310hp ? >

Intake and carb for 454/310hp ?

Notices

Intake and carb for 454/310hp ?

Old 03-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Dennis Moore

Default Could be!

Sonic 30 ss
That sounds like some pretty good theory! I am not an intake manifold designer so I wouldn't know. I look at things from a laymans point of view. I would think that the most important thing, when designing an intake manifold, would be maintaining a constant cross section of the port from the carburetor to the valve. But I can see how changing the cross section might help when a sharp bend in the port is encountered. This might help when trying to maintain port velocity.

It would be nice if we could get a good answer from the original designer at Edelbrock. I really like their work but sometimes I have my doubts about the latest and greatest things that they are marketing. They may make a big deal over design concepts and then the next year contradict themselves with a totally different design.

I remember the emphasis they put on single plane designs in the 70's for fuel economy with the Streetmaster Manifolds. Then they made a big deal over the SP2P dual plane designs for fuel economy.

Now both designs are discarded for the traditional dual plane designs that were used on the 60's muscle cars.

It is sometimes difficult to trust the aftermarket because you never know what is a good product or what is good marketing.
No disrespect intended!
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Old 03-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts

I have to agree with you , a lot of what we get from mfg. is market driven hype. If you cast 10,000 intakes and all of a sudden the market needs economy they must be great for economy!
I belive the dyno AND the stopwatch, cuz' nobody races dynos.
The reasearch I've seen has to do with the speed and quality of the intake charge more than the quantity. ie a smaller port will sometimes work better than a larger port, of course depending on many other factors, cam, displacement,cyl. head, ect..................
I'd like to see a dyno test between the big runner intake on the small port vs small runner/small port.
If I only had a dyno and boat full of money !(oh wait I do have a boat full of money as do most on the site) HE HE
Great talkin' theory with you
Joe