Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stiff power steering—control valve? >

Stiff power steering—control valve?

Notices

Stiff power steering—control valve?

Old 03-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stiff power steering—control valve?

Any advice on this power steering problem?

I have a 1994 Formula 271 SR-1 502 MPI with a Bravo 1 drive.
It has the newer power steering control valve, 1995 on, the cable I believe is Morse without a grease fitting at the attaching nut in back, and the helm is the tilt Morse. Both the helm and control valve were replaced exactly two seasons ago. Back then the steering started intermittently locking up until I forced it to much and stripped the helm. The helm was first replaced and the steering was stiff but did turn, so I had them replace the control valve and the problem was fixed.
At end of this season... the steering was feeling a bit stiff or "hangs" when you first turn the wheel, almost feeling like it's locked if you don't turn it quickly or hard enough. It does seem to turn OK if you spin it fast, but "hangs" if you go slow, feeling stiff to turn especially when I'm doing 5 mph zones with the boat wandering.
Question:
Could it be as simple as bad fluid - I believe it is bled OK, or do I need another new control valve?
Or could it be the cable (which I did disconnect and it seemed to move in and out freely with only a slight hang if you don't turn it with a little push initially).
Advice is much appreciated,

Formula Maxx

Last edited by Formula Maxx; 03-20-2003 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:22 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you had everything forward of the drive replaced, with that in mind, maybe you can try to disconnect the pin that holds your tiller arm to your control valve to see if the drive moves freely. Maybe there is a problem with binding in the swivel pins or tiller arm..