Advice needed on salt water use

Notices

Advice needed on salt water use

Old 03-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hows about the trailer?????????

When I was in Marathon, I seen alot of the fishing boat guys back their trailers in only till the rubber of the tires were wet, not even to rims, and then powerwinch the boats up onto the trailers. And these were galv trailers.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spray all metal with w-d40 or silicone spray and don't worry till you pull it out, then flush it and wash everything good, even spray the trailer if its steel
Old 03-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Ric232
Is the Salt Away stuff a waste of money? I've heard that dish soap actually contains salt and may make things worse.
Don't know if it is a waste as I never had a new motor so I didn't worry about it. Now that I had new motor installed, that was the first thing I did. Now I will treat with it after each salt water use.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by Dave M
Putting your boat in salt water will make it deteriorate instantly.

J/K Keep it in the water, have fun and don't sweat it. A couple of days is not going to hurt it. You fresh water guys .. LOL
You just don't understand !!! (sniffle) When I recently replaced the water circ pump on my 98 454 Mag (160hrs), the color of the water passages was 100% SILVER. Not a speck of rust. The thought of saltwater in there for 5 days makes me sick to my stomach !!

Old 03-26-2003, 08:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been through 3 circ pumps on my 454 Mag. I don't think it was because of salt water use. Just a bad design.

You live in Florida and never see salt? I run in a mixture of fresh, brackish, and salt. My last boat had 600+ hours on it when I sold it and it still had all the original cooling stuff except the thermostat. My current boat has close to 400 hours. I did have to replace the exhaust last year. I flush with plain fresh water when I get home.

Dave M.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be fine. Make sure you anodes are all in place and ok. Wally's idea of taking it to a lake and running it is MUCH better then a hose. The trailer also will be better to dunk then to just hose down. with a good run all that salt will be out of there and you will be good to go back next year

Jon
Old 03-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It will be worth it, trust me
Old 03-26-2003, 09:46 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by Dave M
I've been through 3 circ pumps on my 454 Mag. I don't think it was because of salt water use. Just a bad design.

You live in Florida and never see salt? I run in a mixture of fresh, brackish, and salt. My last boat had 600+ hours on it when I sold it and it still had all the original cooling stuff except the thermostat. My current boat has close to 400 hours. I did have to replace the exhaust last year. I flush with plain fresh water when I get home.

Dave M.
My comment about replacing the water pump had nothing to do with saltwater use. I've only been in fresh. My only point was that the water passages look brand new. So I'm real picky about going in saltwater now that I've seen how clean the motor has remained with nothing but freshwater use.

Don't misunderstand me. I have no doubt that engines run in 100% saltwater can do very well if they are maintained and FLUSHED thoroughly. My question is whether or not I should leave my boat in the saltwater for 5 days (without flushing it), or pull it out every day to flush it.

Old 03-27-2003, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my understanding there are 2 types of annodes. 1 for salt water and the other for fresh water. However, I really dont think it's going to matter for a weeks time. I was pressure wash the chit out of it once it's on the trailer ready to go back home. Flushing the engines of course.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Registered

Have fun. Nothing will happen in 5 days. Wash everything, flush and rinse the trailer when you are done. Don't forget the trailer brakes.

Use a map around the keys. It is a lot of fun!

Steve