Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Advice needed on salt water use >

Advice needed on salt water use

Notices

Advice needed on salt water use

Old 03-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Ric232

Default Advice needed on salt water use

Until now, I have only used my boat in fresh water. However, I have now planned a one week trip to the Florida Keys in early May. It's making me sick to think about dropping my boat in the salt, but I really think we'll have a great time.

Here is my dilemma. Where I am staying (Hawk's Cay) I can either:

1. Leave the boat in a slip right ouside my door (in the water). Obviously this is very convenient.

2. Leave the boat in the slip during the day only and trailer it each evening. This would allow me to do an engine flush and washdown every day.

I know #2 is clearly better, but I'm curious to know if #1 will cause any significant corrosion over the course of only 5 days.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Ric232; 03-23-2003 at 11:23 AM.

Old 03-23-2003, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 is a WAY better way to go...for 5 days of partying you'll be better off leaving it in the water...just flush and wash it every day...use dish soap when flushing...this will better than do'n it 1/2 ass due to the party factor. make sure the mercathode system is working.

you better be down there for may 16th,,, for the pro races i hope,,right??!!!LOL
Old 03-23-2003, 10:42 AM
Banned

One other thing to consider is barnacle growth. If you are using it everday, it shouldn't be a concern. A lot depends on the water temp, and the tidal flow where you are docked. A few years ago, I put a boat in a wet slip for a week while I worked on the trailer. It was late summer and the place where I had it was at the end of a canal with no flow at all. In that one week, I had barnacles over a half inch high all over the bottom. During that week, we also had a hurricane, but that's another story.

Take it down, leave it in the water and have some fun.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Registered

Leave it in the water and enjoy it. If really concerned you can put muffs on it and flush the engine in the water, assuming you have a hose at the dock. You'll be able to see the bottom the water's clear there if needed just brush it a little. If your using it daily there will be no problems.
Have fun the keys are great. Go up to the sand bar at Holiday Isle.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Ric232

Default Re: Advice needed on salt water use

Originally posted by Ric232
Until now, I have only used my boat in fresh water. However, I have now planned a one week trip to the Florida Keys in early May. It's making me sick to think about dropping my boat in the salt, but I really think we'll have a great time.

Here is my dilemma. Where I am staying (Hawk's Cay) I can either:

1. Leave the boat in a slip right ouside my door (in the water). Obviously this is very convenient.

2. Leave the boat in the slip during the day only and trailer it each evening. This would allow me to do an engine flush and washdown every day.

I know #2 is clearly better, but I'm curious to know if #1 will cause any significant corrosion over the course of only 5 days.

Thanks for your input.
Anyone else ??????

Old 03-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Ric232

Originally posted by audacity
[B...just flush and wash it every day...use dish soap when flushing...[/B]
Is the Salt Away stuff a waste of money? I've heard that dish soap actually contains salt and may make things worse.

Old 03-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Putting your boat in salt water will make it deteriorate instantly.

J/K Keep it in the water, have fun and don't sweat it. A couple of days is not going to hurt it. You fresh water guys .. LOL
Old 03-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I boat in salt water every week and no problems. The key is to wash every time you go out. As far as flushing, I think that it will harm the motor very little over that short period of time. Hell, I have friends that refuse to flush after salt water and nothing seems to happen, although there is residue when the water passages are inspected. You'll be fine.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 556 Posts

The 3 times i have gone down to the keys (each time for about 1 1/2 weeks) i left the boat in the water the entire time. No problems at all. All i did was wash the boat down with fresh water at the end of the day and when i pulled it out to go home i ran the boat for a good hour in a fresh water lake instead of doing a quick flush....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-26-2003, 11:09 AM
Registered

After this trip, you'll probably want to move to The Keys.
Forget about the salt, it's really a non issue for that period of time. Try & keep the salt water off your Sunpad & carpets as it never seems to dry out completely. More of a concern would be having a good chart of the area as it can get shallow real fast as you will see the water is so clear that it is sometimes hard to judge depth.
Enjoy

Quick Reply: Advice needed on salt water use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.