Electrical Problem - Ignition??? >

Electrical Problem - Ignition???

Notices

Electrical Problem - Ignition???

Old 03-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem - Ignition???

Pull the Dominator out of storage on Monday - when I conected my batteries up the port side alarm go's off *& all the port side gauges turn on? with the key in the off position - purple wire off the ignition is live (should only be live once ignition is turned to on position??) any ideas at all??? -the starboard side purple wire only becomes live once you turn the key on?? any suggestion's would greatly be appreciated...
Old 03-26-2003, 09:46 AM
Registered

are you sure the batt's are charged, sometimes a dead batt. wont click the relay to off. Some GM cars would catch fire trying to start them with a dead batt. they would turn off with the key.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Had the charger on for 1 night - will turn motor over - I'll swap batteries & try , Thanks, where this relay could this be the problem??
Old 03-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Registered

I have no idea, that is just a problem some GM cars have and thought you might want to look at that. without having it in front of me I can't say where it's at but you sould hear the good one click on and off with the key and I would geuss they are in the same place on the motors.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Registered

Red or orange wire to ignition is always hot. Purple wire should only be hot when ignition is in "run" position. Yellow is hot when in "crank" position.
May be bad ignition switch allowing voltage through switch when in "off" position. Disconnect purple wire from ignition switch. If gauges and alarms shut down, get a new ignition switch.
If they remain on, you've got an energized wire connected to a switched accessory. Voltage may be flowing back to the switch.
Did you hook up a stereo or amp recently?
Gary
Old 03-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

When purple wire is disconnected It's still live (alarm stops but gauges remain on) something still energizes purple wire ??? there is two stereo amps but been there are last season???
Old 03-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Registered

The switch normally energizes only the ignition, gauges, and switched accessories. There could be voltage feeding back through any of those.
Double check your power amp wiring. They're usually set up for a full time +12V from the battery and a separate switched terminal to tell it to turn on. Make sure the switched terminal (purple) is not connected to the +12V terminal.
If you've got a 4 wire alternator, the purple wire also connects there. Try disconnecting the red or orange wire from the alternator. It's a long shot, but I suppose there could be an internal short in the alternator.
Good luck, and let me know what you find.
Gary
Old 03-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

On one of my last runs last year I remember turning off the ignition & 1 or 2 minutes later the alarm would sound & gauges would go on ect. - i would start back up -it would go off - some times stay off - or 5 minutes later back on ect. - could this be an alternator problem - I do ask alot of my alternator - constently charging & discharging 2 amps running of 1 battery- Thanks for all your help
Old 03-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Registered

Like I said, the alternator's kind of a long shot.
Disconnect the red or orange heavy wire and see if the gauges drop out. That wire leads to the battery + terminal and normally charges the battery. Also try disconnecting the red (or red/purple). That's the voltage sensor wire. It's also hot at all times.
I still think it's more likely to be a wring short.
Remember, if that purple lead was hot ALL THE TIME, you wouldn't be able to shut the engine off.
Gary
Old 03-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If disconecting red wire from alternator does cut power to gauges does this mean alternator has internal short?? -never had problem shuting the engine off?? - I'm going to try what you've mentioned soon as I get home - anythings else - disconect amps ect.???