Help-shift cable installation >

Help-shift cable installation

Notices

Help-shift cable installation

Old 03-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-shift cable installation

The cable is getting worn. My wife is having difficult going to reverse. Does not bother me all that much. When she puts the boat on the trailer she complains about the difficulty of getting the boat into reverse and it makes her feel "uneasy".

Therefore, I'm going to replace the cable myself. I need to replace the one from the motor to the outdrive. The other ones are fine. Has anyone done this? I could care less how long it takes. Any special tools and hints?

Just need the advice and helpful hints from you professionals to do this myself. So, how do you do it? 1996 Baja 272 502 MPI Bravo One.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 03-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It's not too hard, The big thing is adjusting it, merc makes a plate that you put on the bell housing that holds the "nub" in the right spot while you use another tool at the shift bracket to adjust it. I have a repair manual at home I can send you a PDF File of the instructions tomorrow if you want.

One more thing that is a small problem is the small bellows that surrounds the cable is held on by a crimp clamp, If yuu dont get this on right it will leak.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

what makes you think it is the cable?
later
Old 03-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

Raypanic, here is my email address [email protected]

Thanks,
Mike

Later, I checked the cable from the top of the motor to the lever by the driver. Just thought that is what it would be. Any other suggestions?

Now you have me thinking... I can shift very easy into forward gear. Difficulty going into reverse. Just thought the cable was wearing or getting hung up. What else could it be?
Old 03-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I Have the same problem - hard to get into reverse - took the drive off yesterday -thought is was the lower cable - no sir - that cable is fine - my main cable from shifter to engine is a bit stiff going into reverse (without being connected) I'm thinking is a combination of both - greased lower & will change upper & let you know how I make out.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Since your going to pull the drive anyhow, After you get it off try the shifter and see if it moves freely. If not disconect the cable off the shifter bracket on the engine and see which cable it is. The one from the control to the shifter bracket or the one from the bracket to the drive. If they both work freely then it is more than likely a problem in the drive. But you need to make sure it is in adjustment too.

Describe you problem a little better, Is it physically binding when you go in reverse and the handle doesn't go all the way back like it did before? Are these gaffrig or merc controls?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Registered

Gaffrig controls. Yes the lever goes back all the way for reverse. Does not feel as if it is physically binding on something either. Just feels stressed/takes a little more strenght to go into reverse.

I've had the cable from the motor to the shifter level off and it moves easily. Therefore, I assume its the one from the drive to the motor?

How do you grease the lower cable?

Last edited by Luv-N-It; 03-27-2003 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

when I had the drive off I clean up the end & put some synthectic grease on it - don't know if it will help - mine moved freely when drive was off.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Pull the back cap on the drive and check the actuator there to,, be careful there is a spring and ball behind the cap.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

On the connector on the engine side is a set screw or maybe two on the end of the cable holding the core to the end block. Loosen the setscrews and the block thingy comes off. I also remember something about a small metal part in the block thingy that could fall out, watch for that.

After the block is off you can pull the cable core out from the bell housing side. I cleaned mine off and put a littl white rease on it. Make sure the end is not burred too much as it will hang on re-inserting.

Quick Reply: Help-shift cable installation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.