Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Yamaha stern drives????????? >

Yamaha stern drives?????????

Notices

Yamaha stern drives?????????

Old 04-01-2003, 10:25 PM
voodoo

Default Yamaha stern drives?????????

I know these drives were not very performance oriented, but I am looking at a 26' cruiser that weighs 6100 lbs and wonder if it can hold up to pushing this kind of weight. The boat has 250 hours on it now. Anything to look for as i inspect it?

Old 04-02-2003, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Parts availability is limited. Plan on a Bravo conversion someday in the case of a failure.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of someone looking for a used one (1992 4.3 Yamaha outdrive) if anyone knows of one for sale - let me know... Durability questionable --
Old 04-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I once looked at a Baja 210 sport with a 350 mag and yamaha drive. I was told by the dealer they were on par with the alpha for durability and reliability. And they will accept a merc prop without an adapter, same spline. After that, I don't know a dang thing about em except they are grey in color and were once available on Powerquests at a no-cost option over the Merc unit.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Banned

A freind of mine had one on a cruiser. He had trouble with it, and could barely find anyone that would work on it. The first guy he hired claimed to have fixed it, but did not. The second guy showed him where he ground off some gears to get it to engage. I would steer clear myself, unless it's cheap enough to do a conversion.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:39 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I agree with Cuda. I know someone that had problems with that drive. It was never right. He sold the boat and got a Merc. set-up, problem solved!!
Old 04-02-2003, 06:55 PM
voodoo

Thanks guys. The boat is immaculate and the broker told me it would have sold 10 times over if it wasn't for the drive. I guess I'll offer a very very low ball price and see how desperate he is.

Old 04-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I re powered a 28 Regal with a 7.4L Yamaha last summer. There are NO PARTS available for these drives. We looked high and low for a lower unit gear set. I ended up pulling everything, filling/re-cutting the transom and installing a Bravo III .

Also all the accessories they used to marinize the 454 Yamaha are completely unique to the Yamaha package. Just getting a water pump impeller took weeks of headache.

If you really like the boat, you need to buy it cheap enough to be able to completely repower it and not be upside down with the boat in the end.

Just my .02

Kurt.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:57 AM
JT

I have a Yamaha Hydra-drive on a 91 Baja 260. Reliability has not been a problem running Approx 450 hp through it. The drive shifts smooth without the "Clunk" that the mercs have. This is do to having a clutch pack compared to a cone clutch. I do have to agree with them not being very performance orientated. My boat will only run 56 mph on gps I want to think that it is due to the drive. The parts question I have not had to buy anything for it other that a gimble bearing and seal. I did not have any trouble legating these. The dealer indicated that he could still get parts for it if I needed.