Notices

Turning motor by hand-trouble signs?

Old 04-07-2003, 02:41 PM
bobby daniels

Good idea ,,I hate rust !!!

Old 04-07-2003, 05:00 PM
cheitman

Originally posted by Luv-N-It
The motor never did run. Just the nasty backfire. Never had the chance to even turn it back over because of the starter issue. Maybe a blessing in disguise. I probably would have tried cranking again if I could. Taking starter to get tested/fixed today. Hopefully have it back for the weekend for the next go around.

Man, I am hoping everthing comes out ok with this.

Before putting it way last night, I let the cylinder's air out and sprayed a little silicone lubricant in the cylinder that had all the gas in it, then turn the motor a few revolutions to lightly coat the cyliner wall.
Next time (hopefully not) use WD40, it actually displaces moisture.

Old 04-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stater update

Dropped the starter off at the repair shop to have it tested. No need to test it, the bendix gear? broke inside tech said. I gues the gear should not be able to spin in both directions. Did not know that the gear should lock and not be able to turn in both directions. Cost is $105 a complete rebuild. Thought that was a good price compared to buying one for $210.

Hopefully, my fears are being eliminated. I knew I heard something else with that nasty backfire, thought it might have been something inside the motor. Mechanic said, no chance. It was the shaft you heard that broke with the backfire in the starter. Mechanic said he has even seen at times when you take some starters out that some come out in pieces!

Hope I'm lucky
Old 04-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Registered

Default WOW!

Picking up starter tonight (Tuesday) on my way home from work. Mechanic said it was completely broke inside the housing. Not only was the shaft broke, but even the 12-15 teeth on the gear were shaved off! Said it was the worse one he has ever seen.

Think I'll call in sick to work on Wednesday and put this starter in, wire it up, and see what happens!

Has anyone seen or heard of this happening before with a starter? I have not. Don't think I'm in the clear yet, but I hope so.

I just can't understand why there so much gas/water in the #2 cylinder? Is that typical on a first start up from de-winterizing?

Last edited by Luv-N-It; 04-09-2003 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Registered

Reversion is the only other case Ive heard of a starter breaking,
Old 04-14-2003, 07:05 AM
Registered

Default AM I LUCK?!!

Well, fired it up Saturday. No knock, nick, tick, or anything! Purring lick a kitten being rubbed. Sure am glad this is over. What a learning lesson. Every year regardless with this boat or the next one here is what I'm going to do before spring start up.

Pull the plugs. Turn it over a few revolutions-making sure no fluid has built up in the cylinders. Put plugs back in, and start up!

Mike.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!

Was it definitely gas on the plug and not water? In either case, if you have not already done so, change your oil! It is probably pretty diluted if that much gas leaked into the cylinder.

Also, I would be a little concerned that you lost some teeth from the ring gear on the flywheel, judging by the damage to your starter. You might not notice it if the flywheel rotated past the point where the teeth broke off from the inertia of the rotating engine. When you installed the new starter, you would not necessarily be on the "bad" spot. It might not show up until it just happens to land on the bad spot one time when you shut it down. I have had this happen on cars before, and it can leave you stranded. One way to check would be to disable the ignition (pull lanyard) and crank the engine at least one full rotation. MPI engines normally fire so quickly that it is unlikely that you spun it one full rotation just starting it.

Not trying to give you new things to worry about - just trying to head off trouble before you ruin a nice day getting stranded somewhere!
Old 04-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Registered

Yes I did. I checked the flywheel completely. When I turned it by hand, I periodically checked the flywheel and found no teeth missing or chipped/broken anywhere.

Good advice.