Changing fluid in Bravo I >

Changing fluid in Bravo I

Notices

Changing fluid in Bravo I

Old 04-15-2003, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing fluid in Bravo I

I realize this is not a hard thing to do, however, I was talking to a friend last night and he said I may have over filled the unit. Bravo I drive.

Here is what I did. I was on a level surface, outdrive trimmed all the way in. Drained fluid. I began pumping new fluid into the drive until I saw it come out the vent hole. Put the vent plug back in. Continued pumping from the bottom of the outdrive until it filled the reservior overflow inside the boat until it reached the full line in the reservior inside the boat. He said I should not have done this?

My friend says I should not have done it this way. I should have stopped filling the drive once I saw it coming out the vent hole. Then he said I should have filled the reservior inside the boat, inside the boat? Not from the bottom of the drive, pumping from the bottom to the top?

My question is, should I have stopped filling the drive when I saw the fluid coming out the vent hole and filled the reservior in the boat by the motor, inside the boat? Do I have to much fluid in the drive and I should not have re-filled the drive with fluid this way?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:52 AM
Registered

Luv-N-It,
You did it correctly. You are supposed to fill from the bottom and you did everything exactly the way I've always done it and seen it done by Mercruiser technicians.......your friend is wacko! Just kidding!!! Filling from the bottom eliminates the chance of having an air bubble form as the air will rise to the top and exit the drive via the vent hole. Once the drive is full to that point, it's good to keep pumping and filling the reservoir in the same manner to avoid pockets of air being trapped if you were to fill from the top. There SHOULD be no difference in the amount of oil in the drive as if your reservoir is full, it will refill the lower unit to it's capacity......there would be no separation from the reservoir to the drive so how could there possibly be an overfilling problem?????

Good job on the fluid change!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Registered

Default Thank you for your insight!

Mike
Old 04-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Registered

Luv-N-It,
I have done it both ways. If you do it the way your friend says to do it, the air will just work it's way out and then you will have to refill the reservior. I now do it the way you did it. You are ok.