TRS steering problem >

TRS steering problem

Notices

TRS steering problem

Old 04-17-2003, 09:17 AM
Freddie

Question TRS steering problem

Hello

I have a problem with my steering on a mercruiser TRS drive here in Sweden. The steering have way too much play, so the boat become very unstable.

I found this picture, and it appears that the play is caused by part 21 ("Shaft, upper swivel - gimbal ring to gimbal housing") and part 25 ("Lever, steering").

So the question is, can I adjust to get rid of the play, or do I have to replace those parts??

The engine compartment is pretty small. So it's hard to reach and look for myself to see what can be done without removing a lot of things, that's why I'm asking this...

Thanks in advance

/Freddie

Old 04-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercury makes a kit with a plug and template to locate where you drill a hole in the upper part of the transom assembly in order to gain access to the nut (part 27) on the bolt (part 24) that clamps the tiller arm (part 25) to the pivot shaft (part 21). The kit keeps you from having to remove the engine and transom assembly to gain access to the nut and bolt. If tightening the bolt dosen't fix the problem, you will need to replace parts. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Wildthing Taz, (Ron Bender) sells a kit that I feel is far superior to the Mercruiser repair kit. I have used the Merc kit many times and it is very time consuming...IE, IT.SUCKS....yes, even with the fancy shaped special wrench for the swivel pin nut.

Hopefully he will chime in here with the info.

Good luck,

Kurt.

Last edited by Biggus; 04-17-2003 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TRS, unlike a Bravo, rarely wears the gimbal ring causing play. That's especially true if it's a splined upper swivel pin. It may be that your steering arm is loose. You may be able to tighten it through the transom cutout. Check that first.
Gary
Old 04-24-2003, 08:57 AM
monza24

Default hyd

freedie hi i have trs also it was cheeper and a whole lot safer to go hyd. call cobra engines in miami ask for randi he has used hyd steering cheep. you can find his tel# under sponsers

Last edited by monza24; 04-24-2003 at 09:00 AM.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Freddie

Mercury makes a kit with a plug and template to locate where you drill a hole in the upper part of the transom assembly in order to gain access to the nut (part 27) on the bolt (part 24) that clamps the tiller arm (part 25) to the pivot shaft (part 21). The kit keeps you from having to remove the engine and transom assembly to gain access to the nut and bolt. If tightening the bolt dosen't fix the problem, you will need to replace parts. Good luck!
Where can I get this kit? Haven't found it in Sweden. I looked at www.mercruiserparts.com, but I couldn't find. Part number?

regards
/Freddie

Old 09-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

Freddie, as Gary says the TRS gimbal does not often wear out, but if it does there is a gimbal ring update kit. If the steering lever and arm are worn, there is an arm & shaft kit. See :TRS Gimbal ring

If you want to try tightning the steering arm first, the access plug kit is PN 88847A1