Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
out drive lube leaking >

out drive lube leaking

Notices

out drive lube leaking

Old 04-19-2003, 07:09 PM
WES311SR1

Question out drive lube leaking

I have drive lube leaking from water pick-up on lower part of out-drive . What are your thoghts as to where it could be coming from. I think that maybe the O-ring is bad between lower case and upper.

Old 04-20-2003, 06:28 PM
WES311SR1

no ideas ?

Old 04-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no drive expert, but that sounds like a crack in the housing to me. You would need 2 o-rings to fail to get gear lube out of the water pickup on a bravo. Try pressurizing the case and using the soapy water spray method looking for bubbles.

BT
Old 04-21-2003, 06:16 PM
WES311SR1

?????????????

Old 04-21-2003, 06:46 PM
Registered

Like on a bycycle inertube. Put some compressed air in the drive (10psi or so) and spray soapy water around. If you see bubbles, you found your leak.

The o-rings on the water intake side really only seal the water pickup tract from sucking air. If that one fails, you may not even notice it, but then again you may get cooling problems. The critical o-ring in the one that seals the lube on the vertical driveshaft. This one keeps the oil in. So the way I see it, you would need the drive shaft o-ring to leak lube out and the water pickup o-ring to let oil leak in to get oil out your water pickup.

I would pressure test it.

BT
Old 04-21-2003, 08:23 PM
WES311SR1

would this be done with the outdrive off ?

Old 04-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Registered

WES311SR1, There is a O-ring in between the upper and lower that allows oil between them. Just unbolt the lower and slide it off and you should see it between the 2 halves. Put in a new o-ring and slide the drive back on to the upper, but be careful to not mess up the shaft seal on the upper. I'm not sure how the oil is getting into the water passage, it has been a while since I have had one apart, but it is an easy thing to look at once it is apart. You should be able to pressure test on the boat with a pressure tester.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is most likely the quad seal between the upper and lower cases.it seals the oil passage that runs thru the water passage.split the drive and check the smaller seal in the water passage on the gearcase
Old 04-22-2003, 08:21 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like that d@mn little orange o ring to me !!!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Registered

Do the pressure test BEFORE you remove the lower case. Otherwise you will not know for sure if you are fixing the problem. I use a gear lube pump. Remove the pump part from the hose, screw the fitting into the vent screw hole in the drive, and make a connection to a compressor at the end of the tube that had the pump originally. Really easy. Make sure you use LOW air pressure! Yes you can do this with the drive on the boat.

BT

Quick Reply: out drive lube leaking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.