Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help build my motors >

Help build my motors

Notices

Help build my motors

Old 04-29-2003, 09:19 AM
ren3

The only Lightnings at $1400 a set will be used as far as I know from shopping around. Lightnings are great headers but they are going to be $2500 retail! I managed to buy two lightly used pair for about $1100 apiece, and I was lucky I think. Why not go back to the seller and determine exactly what you have engine wise? As some have said the block numbers do not mean a thing if they have been remanufactured. Someone should know what is in them. As far as value received for money spent goes, you definitely need headers, not manifolds, and buy some K&N intakes/flame arrestors to flow as much air in as the headers can flow exhaust out. Have you checked to see if you have roller rockers as opposed to stock rockers? This might give you a clue as to what these blocks really are. Let me know if I can give you any other help. Bob.

Old 04-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no roller rockers, cheapesyt price i've found on lightnings about 1700.00 a pair.....
Old 04-29-2003, 08:28 PM
ren3

Default 330s or 440s

BUY them! Now. Bob. Seriously, I would go back to this seller with the sales agrrement, there is one right, that specifies the 440s and demand that he stand up and do the right thing. NY has some pretty tough fraud laws don't they?

If you indeed have 330s, you are going to gain a very small amount of horsepower from headers according to Lightning, but still you will be much better off than w/o them, and you certainly can not use the log manifolds that you pictured. Some K&N flame arrestors at $80 apiece or so will help a little still. Good luck.

Last edited by ren3; 04-29-2003 at 08:35 PM.

Old 04-29-2003, 09:36 PM
Registered

Well it was a word of mouth agreement, So i don't have a leg to stand on, and i don't think he knew what they were.... he was told they were 440's from the guy he bought the boat from.... such is life i guess.... the the intake side of the heads looks bigger than the small peanut ports, and it supposedly has a fatter than stock cam, so we will see i guess..... i'll buy the headers now , and the flame arresters, and see what the boat does, i can reuse these parts again so its not a waste...
Right now i just want to get this thing together before summer...

I want to thank everyone on here for all the help and guidence...
Old 04-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Keep us posted. Hope all goes well
Old 04-30-2003, 07:10 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Call lightning direct at 909-678-5631
Old 04-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I think it's a good idea as well to add the aftermarket hi-perf exhaust. You will most likely see an increase in RPM and might pick up about 1 MPH----MAYBE! The new exhaust will give your engines a much better appearance and they will give you a more thunderous, racey sound that we all like.

Stainless Marine is a good hi-perf manifold type of exhaust system. They will last longer than the Lightning headers, but won't make as much power as the Lightning headers will. The Stainless Marine exhausts are reasonably priced as well. I think you'd be happy with either brand. Which ever you choose, put them on and go boating this summer and save the upgrades for the winter. Have fun!
Old 04-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Registered

Throw the engine hatch away and put some Zoomie headers on it!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with KAAMA

The 330 exhaust port has a venturi diameter of 1.5 inches. The valve lift is Im' guessing under .500 making a small window area. Between these two, you have a choke point. I dont think adding exhaust will help without a decent flowing exhaust port.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Registered

Maybe you misunderstood the guy:
Are you sure he said "440 cyclones"?
and not
440 CLONES!???

Quick Reply: Help build my motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.