Replacing bellows >

Replacing bellows

Notices

Replacing bellows

Old 05-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chart,
Did Todd up at 94 set you up with adhesive and a hinge pin removal tool?
Gary
Old 05-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Todd and I are becomming old friends. He also got me an out drive gasket and aft bearing for the drive shaft.

NEW PROBLEM: the tailstock bearing (the one around the female splined coupler) does not spin when the spline coupler spins. Please tell me I don't have to pull the engine to fix this, or that it does not have to spin, or that unicorns are real, something!!! Really, is there a simple way to fix this, or is it really a problem. When these bearings sieze under power, what do they take with them?

Sorry that the picture is small. the white writing says bearing, and the red writing says spline. When the spline spins (Turning the engine manually) the bearing does not. Please, someone, give me some real words of encouragement!

thanks.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Chart; 05-02-2003 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried to blow it up a bit but I do not have much for pictures on this computer.

Jon
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

damn only the lightening took. However as I understand what you are saying the part with the spines turns but the piece JUST to the outside does not? Is this the same on both drives? Do you have a local shop that you can stop by and have a tech take a look? I know on the top picture that you have the bearing with the C-clip on it can come out with the engine in the boat. The other one I think has to have the engines pulled and the tail stock piece taken off to get that one replaced. Hopefully MBAM will respond for ya

Jon
Old 05-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Registered

bigger.

The center is the spline on the tail shaft, and it spins. the next larger silver ring does not spin. I trust this is a sealed bearing like the one I already removed because it was siezed.

I'm going to the family farm in the morning to pull the engine to access this bearing. Don't have a very good repair book, and welcome all advice.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing bellows-pict0186oso2.jpg  
Old 05-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are those splines any good?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Registered

the picture does not do them justice. the splines appear good in person. thanks for asking though.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Chart if you need me to give me a call and I would be happy to fax you the pages of the manual that pertain to this job.

Jon
Old 05-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought. Since the bell housing and bellows are out, could you reach through the gimbal with a snap ring pliars to remove the clip? Then use a bearing puller to get it out the back?
BTW, if it goes, it will probably spin in the tailstock and tear that apart.
Gary
Old 05-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Registered

Oh Gary, this became a saga that deserves its own new thread. Yes, you can remove the snap ring, and then go look around the yard trying to find it when it goes zinging off the pliers. But, be careful what kind of puller you use, or you'll get to see the inside of the BW 72 trans to reinstall an expansion cup because you used an 1/4 drive extention and socket to pull against the middle of the splined coupler because you just knew it was solid. The new thread will include pictures. It will be titled something like "bellows warning to TRS owners"

But, even at that, the fwd sealed bearing can not be replaced through the gimbal.

Quick Reply: Replacing bellows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.