Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Still Having problems with the PROBLEM CHILD-Lean/miss/stumble/backfire!!!! >

Still Having problems with the PROBLEM CHILD-Lean/miss/stumble/backfire!!!!

Notices

Still Having problems with the PROBLEM CHILD-Lean/miss/stumble/backfire!!!!

Old 05-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've built quite a few Vortec engines with the Air Gap intakes. I've never had a leak or any problems. Maybe you have a a flaw in the casting instead of a gasket leak. I had that once in a brand new Dart intake.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which gasket do you use? Also what about using 2 intake gaskets? Someone reccomended this to me but I thought this would just make it worse? Thoughts?????

BH
Old 05-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Registered

I guess you probably got us on this one, BUT, I don't really understand the spraying of the start fluid that results in a DROP in RPM. Whenever I had that problem and used that test my RPM's went UP. I don't want to sound as stupid as I am but, Why don't you try a spray gasket adhesive while running and see if it sucks into the problem area stops the prob.?? Good luck! --- Jer
Old 05-17-2003, 09:47 PM
Registered

Well then the question then becomes WHY would they drop instead of rise????? I mean it defitnley is a leak that is sucking it in right? As far as the spray gasket wouldn't that get into the intake ports on the heads? That would'nt be good would it? GOD THIS THING IS GETTING MORE CONFUSING AS I GO ALONG......JUST SHOOT ME AND SINK MY BOAT NOW...PUT US BOTH OUT OF OUR MISERY

BH
Old 05-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The space between the two center bolts with the space is only the area where the heat cross over passage is. If it where to be leaking there it would be blowing out.
There are two bolts on either side of the intake ports. They should be sealing that area.
I've alway's used Fel-pro performance gaskets. Use an adhesive around the intake ports(both gasket and head side) and very little silicone around water jackets.
They don't tell you in there directions but I use thread sealer on the bolts. Some of them penetrate water jackets and/or push rod bores.
Other wise, I'd try another carb.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Registered

DON'T USE DOUBLE GASKETS!!!
IT WILL LEAK BETWEEN THEM!!!!
Old 05-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Registered

There is no 2 center bolts......The intake has 8 bolts 2 in front 2 in the rear on each side........Also NO heat crossover passage on the vortec heads...And you say that even though the carb checks out fine AND that the engine rpm's drop and the engine stumbles when I spray along the intake/head area I should change the carb?? Why would I change the carb If I know I have a leak on the intake?

BH
Attached Thumbnails Still Having problems with the PROBLEM CHILD-Lean/miss/stumble/backfire!!!!-vortec1.jpeg  
Old 05-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Registered

The pic of the intake, doesn't it have bolt holes between the two front and the two rear ports?
looks like it, but I see the pic of the head and there are no holes???
Old 05-18-2003, 04:23 AM
Registered

No it dosn't...I think they are mounting bosses for some sort of accessories or something.

BH
Old 05-18-2003, 08:34 AM
MAKDADDY

BH

This may sound stupid, but could the motor have jumped time?
One or two teeth off of the chain?
just a thought, the vacum leak does sound screwy.
Greg

Quick Reply: Still Having problems with the PROBLEM CHILD-Lean/miss/stumble/backfire!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.