Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Still Having problems with the PROBLEM CHILD-Lean/miss/stumble/backfire!!!! >

Still Having problems with the PROBLEM CHILD-Lean/miss/stumble/backfire!!!!

Notices

Still Having problems with the PROBLEM CHILD-Lean/miss/stumble/backfire!!!!

Old 05-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I looked at a pic of the GM and it didn't have them.
Woke up this morning wondering why is was thinking carb??
Your right, that doesn't make sence.
It still seems like an intake gasket leak.
The GM shows a water cross over fitting at the center.
The edelbrock does not have this?
Is that a water hole at the center on the head?
Old 05-18-2003, 08:45 AM
Registered

Is this the gasket your using?

12529094 Gasket, Intake Manifold "Vortec Design"
This is the production gasket for all Vortec design cylinder heads (four-bolt attachment of manifold to cylinder heads P/N 12529093 and 12558060).

Technical Notes: This gasket requires the use of GM attachment bolt P/N 12550027 because the bolt has a ball design on the end that seats in the head so it will not crush the intake manifold gasket. This kit includes (2) gaskets.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Registered

Using the GM bolts?
Old 05-18-2003, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by convincor
Is this the gasket your using?

12529094 Gasket, Intake Manifold "Vortec Design"
This is the production gasket for all Vortec design cylinder heads (four-bolt attachment of manifold to cylinder heads P/N 12529093 and 12558060).

Technical Notes: This gasket requires the use of GM attachment bolt P/N 12550027 because the bolt has a ball design on the end that seats in the head so it will not crush the intake manifold gasket. This kit includes (2) gaskets.
No I am using A.R.P. bolts that are listed as the correct bolts for the vortec heads...BUT they sure don't have a ball or anything on them...The first manifold was used with a Fel-pro gasket.The gasket was pretty thick and flat. With the new manifold I used the GM gasket 12529094. It is more of a hard plastic with a silicone type ring around the ports.....BUT I did not use the GM Bolts....Wouldn't the ball just prevent an overtorque situation? I am planning of running a bead of Hi-Temp RTV Silicone on the gap today and if the weather holds tommorow I should know If I have an intake leak or not..I figure I will find out if the leak is present and so if it is my problem I have been chasing or just part of it.. IF (BIG IF) it cures the problem (intake or both) then I will look into changing the gaskets again with the GM Bolts....Do you have a picture of those bolts????

BH
(Still on suicide watch and life support )

Last edited by BAD-HABIT; 05-18-2003 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Registered

Can't find you a pic, sorry.
Good luck today.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Registered

I am not sure how detailed you have checked the fuel supply.According to my manual you need to check both fuel pressure AND volume to be sure that you have adequate fuel supply. the pressure should be 7-9 psi (also at WOT!)and the volume at idle should be "a pint per 20 seconds". If you have a volume problem it will show as fuel starvation at higher speeds, or more precisely as starvation in sustained high torque situations .
Old 05-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Registered

Edelbrock told me that 2 lbs was all that was needed for idle and 4lbs at W.O.T. No Granted it sounds like Im low on pressure but if pressure was the problem wouldn't it show up more at W.O.T. The miss I get is at cruise. When at W.O.T. I don't get the miss... Am I "missing " something here? Keep the ideas comments coming PLEASE!!!

By the way if you happen to see this "Problem Child" please fix her or put her out of her misery
Attached Thumbnails Still Having problems with the PROBLEM CHILD-Lean/miss/stumble/backfire!!!!-mvc-004f.jpg  

Last edited by BAD-HABIT; 05-18-2003 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Registered

Well, I am thinking more about the surging. That definitely points towards a lack of fuel. If the surging appears when you have the throttle at the end of the travel(irrespective of rpm) such as when accelerating hard, that would point towards the fuel pump not being able to keep up with the fuel demand. In principle the highest demand on the pump per "pumping action" or revolution would be if you are at idle and push the throttle all the way. If you have a volume problem , it would then start surging as soon as the bowl in the carburator is emptied.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Registered

Sounds to me like the ideal situation to use a vacuum gage. Has this been done?

Also, from my experience, I don't put much credence in what the tech line kids (edelbrock in your case) have to say. I generally teach them things. They are not always the sharpest pencils in the box.

Fuel pressure may not be the problem causing these symptoms, but it is too low and needs to be corrected asap.

my .02

BT

Last edited by blue thunder; 05-18-2003 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Registered

Blue...What would be the best way to use the vaccum gauge. What should I be looking for on the reading and at what rpm's....

BH

Quick Reply: Still Having problems with the PROBLEM CHILD-Lean/miss/stumble/backfire!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.