VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick & Quiet 2 installed
Attached Thumbnails silent choice?-p4200081-large-small-.jpg  
Old 06-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loto.... it matters not which you get, switchable mufflers or Corsa Quick & Quiet (y pipe thru hub).... NONE can be used above 3000 rpm as they are too restrictive. Still, I know I can run 45 mph and still be under 3000 rpm.. so you can still cruise and be quiet... just not at WOT..
Old 06-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Had Corsa Captains Call on my last boat. All electric and worked great.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Steve_H

NONE can be used above 3000 rpm as they are too restrictive

thanks blown formula!

THAT , i didnt know.

as checkmate454mag suggested , Teague switchables may be how i go. would rather not have to mess with a y-pipe install.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Registered

I have Teague's and they work great but they are not as quiet as thru hub. I have run them up to 3500rpm but I think that is pushing it 3000rpm is probably best. 525 blown motor on CMI exhaust.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a 454 Mag you will hardly notice a difference in performance between open and closed mode.....in my boat with the same engine about 50 rpms. I run the Corsa electric system and am extremely happy with it. Dont go the Merc route, too much weight with all the pumps and lines to install and a lot more complicated too.....
Old 06-05-2003, 07:51 AM
Registered

Does anyone know what actually does happen when you go beyond 3000 rpm with the exhaust through the prop on a reasonably stock merc magnum engine?
Old 06-05-2003, 08:18 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!

Does anyone know what actually does happen when you go beyond 3000 rpm with the exhaust through the prop on a reasonably stock merc magnum engine?
Probably wouldn't hurt anything. I have seen plenty of stock boats equipped with 454 Mag's and thru-prop exhaust. I don't think Merc would let them go out the door if there was a serious issue. If you are running a lot of overlap with the cam and short risers, however, there would be some risk.

Seems like reversion would be more of a problem at idle anyway, since you don't have the higher velocities and momentum of the intake charge that you get at higher RPM's. Isn't that why you get a choppy idle with long-duration camshafts - partially because of the reversion at low RPM's? I know some of it has to do with the weaker vacuum signal to the carb, but I know I read somewhere that reversion is more of an issue at idle.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:18 AM
Registered

Not for sure, but I would assume it is the exhaust pressure overcomes the solenoid holding it open. I believe the "fail" mode is open & the solenoid holds it closed? either open or closed.. the pressure I am sure would overcome the solenoids. It would also probably damage the internal steel (rubber edged flapper) and burn the edges..... Don't think I want to find out though!!

Quick Reply: silent choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.