Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
1st trip = tow Kinda Long sorry... >

1st trip = tow Kinda Long sorry...

Notices

1st trip = tow Kinda Long sorry...

Old 06-03-2003, 07:38 AM
patrick22309

Default 1st trip = tow Kinda Long sorry...

1st trip up the potomac ended in a tow last night. Think I have a water/fuel problem or my gas guage is way off. New boat 2nd time out. "92" 7.4/bravo/webber carb. Went 15 mile up river started to sputter, drained seperator with small amout of water and ran great another 4mi. Started for home later and as soon as I cracked the throttle started to miss and sputter and when I came off the throttle for a no wake it stalled. Started several times and would only idle and die when I tried to give her gas. What gives? Carb rebuild? Drain the tank? Fix the sending unit if really out of gas?? Where can I get a cheap universal electric fuel pump if I need to drain the tank?

BTW, If you ever go DOW in DC get a tow to Bolling AFB. Bobby McCullough is the marina manager he is a really good guy, found me a ride down to my tow vehical and even offered to let me leave the boat over night. They are also full service with fuel and pump out and easy in and out.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:52 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,895 Likes on 952 Posts

You don't need to drain the tank if there is some water in it. My engine was acting similar to yours. It was water in the fuel. By trying to start it and keep it running, the plugs got fouled.
After I put in a new set of plugs and new sep filter I just ran it at a slow cruise speed. I ended up having to dump the filter out 3 more times within the first 3 miles. After that, everything ran fine and I've put another 20 hours on the boat without touching it.

To see if its water in the fuel, dump your filter into a clear glass. The water will be on the bottom.

If you do have water in the gas, take a gallon of gas with you so you can refill the filter if you have dump it. It takes a lot of cranking to pump enough fuel to refill it.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick,
What boat do you own? I am on the upper Potomac alot and run membership for a boat club at Washington Marina ( www.carefreeboats.com ). I have a 22' Pachanga with no motor right now but hope to be on the water in a month. Til then I'll be doing Sequoia in one of our club boats.
Ken
Old 06-04-2003, 08:32 PM
patrick22309

Default Problem update!

I rebuilt the carter and it was a mess inside. Is it OK to install an additional fuel filter in the rubber line prior to the fuel water sep. or is it a true filter and I shouldn't worry about additional filtration.

Old 06-04-2003, 08:39 PM
patrick22309

Default My boats on the potomac

Originally posted by klmken
Patrick,
What boat do you own? I am on the upper Potomac alot and run membership for a boat club at Washington Marina ( www.carefreeboats.com ). I have a 22' Pachanga with no motor right now but hope to be on the water in a month. Til then I'll be doing Sequoia in one of our club boats.
Ken
Ken,
I have a 23' Red Stingray. We don't go north very often, launch out of Belvoir and hang around mattawoman and Belmont Bay. Almost purchased a pachanga couple weeks ago but decide to upgrade from a 20ft red stingray to a 23'.
Patrick