Old 06-19-2003, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to shoot this thread over to Allan4
Old 06-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have replaced a few boxes for me along with rebuilds on distributors. Always come back like new. I just don't think they should fail as often as they do. I keep a spare box with me on poker runs.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ever notice Winston Cup cars have 2 MSD boxes...there's a reason

I've seen many a race where the driver has to switch over to the second box...
Old 06-19-2003, 07:59 PM
bobby daniels

Theres nothing to compare in winston cup as MSD is all they use
and with the vibration and high temp and current draw that goes up with RPM and they turn 9k+ its no wonder to me they break anything would for sure thats racing ///ALSO onthe cup cars if the motor starts to miss the driver has no idea why but the first and only thing they can do is flip a switch and it swaps boxes,coils,and even the pick up in the dist. ,,,and most of the time they never say if that fixed it or not ,but its all they can switch so you hear the announcer say "he just switched ign boxes " but its everything at once and that may not be the broken part ,(its valve train alot )
But yes the cup cars carry spares as I do and I also carry a spare water pump
If its man made its going to break ,I like them and my buddy MO-POWER likes CRANE to each his own we're both happy

I'll be glad to help you get a new box sean ,just let me know

Last edited by bobby daniels; 06-19-2003 at 08:32 PM.

Old 06-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bobby daniels
my buddy MO-POWER likes CRANE to each his own we're both happy

Now , now , Bobby...get it right now. I like ANYTHING besides MSD. At 8500 rpms you can't beat MSD. At 5500 rpm , it's an unnecessary evil and you can't beat TB ignitions for simplicity and reliability
Old 06-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Now there's a smart MSD owner
Old 06-22-2003, 02:33 AM
FindMe

Ya Sean, there's a reason, but I doubt you know what it is. Having 2 boxes is nice "in case of failure" but that is only one of the benefits of having an extra box on board. Show us how smart you are.... what is the real reason they all have 2 boxes Hmmmmmmm? My guess is your faith in MSD was shot to hell by incorrect installation, not following the directions (but REAL men don't need no stinkin instructions, right?) or being to cheap to buy the plug wires they tell you to run, or you will cook boxes. So you are saying 2 boxes in a Cup car is in case of failure? Is that your final answer? rotflmao

By the way, since you are educationg us, why isn't any other ignition allowed or approved by Nascar, NHRA etc? Yep, them MSD boxes are badd stuff.... Crane box & MSD distributor better? Only a moron would run a "patchwork quilt" ign. system IMHO, but me, Bobby and those big boys probably don't know she-it, heh?

BOBBY DANIELS... remember, you can she-it the fans, but not the players... (or in this case maybe the other way around)... lol

Old 06-22-2003, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My last problem with MSD was last year July 3rd which really screwed up my plans for the vacation I had planned. The box was just over a year old and was sent back to El paso. They told me I was s.o.l. and had to buy a new one. However, they were helpfull in telling me how to wire up a gm module as a temporary solution. MSD is great when it works but you definetly need spare parts as a backup. I learned my lesson last year when the vacation I had planned for months had to be cancelled. Every other year I send all my stuff back to them for a check up/rebuild and they are really good about it.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:54 AM
Registered

A few things to think about.

1) An MSD ignition is great, but like any other Hi Output performance part it will require service. How many people send there boxes back to be checked out over the off season ? You're having you're engine and drive serviced !!!

2) There actually are other boxes legal in both NHRA & NASCAR, but MSD's service and dependability is why they are used more than all of the other brands combined.

3) As with any compnay problems happen I know a lot of the people at MSD they are great guys, and want to help just give them a chance !

Doug
Old 06-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Lets see,....wrong plug wires can fry the MSD box
Hmmmmmm , seems to me something is awfully delicate AND/OR running on the ragged edge of failure
In any case , out on the water , and in my case perhaps 100 or more miles for home(not a five mile lake) I'll go for the dependability factor.
14 year , TB ingition , zero probs. I.M.H.O.

Quick Reply: Bad MSD box?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.