Oil Flow/Direction >

Oil Flow/Direction

Notices

Oil Flow/Direction

Old 06-19-2003, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Flow/Direction

Need help on which way oil leaves & retuns to block.
I am installing my remote oil filter and can't remember which way the oil flows when leaving the the block. Out through the centre & returns through the side of oil pad?
Thanks John
Old 06-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Registered

You first run out of the block (center) providing you are running a remote adapter and not a sandwich. Then run that line to your inlet to your remote oil filter. Now from your filter run that to your oil cooler. Now depending on the type of oil cooler you are running allways run the oil against the flow of the water. Now that all you have to do is complete the circuit by running it back into the block from the remote cooler.

Here is a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Flow/Direction-103_0321.jpg  
Old 06-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

The center hole is always the return. The oil flows out through the side hole of the pad. Oil goes from the outside of the filter to the inside and then returns to the engine.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Registered

Default Oil Flow

Little confused?? Which way is the orrect way? This is a HP 500 motor with Canton remote pad going to the same type of remote oil filter that Krumbsnatcher is using. So oil leaves the motor from the rear outlet on the block & returns to the center port? If I understand it correctly.
Thanks for the input
John
Old 06-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Not sure where the oil leaves on your engine, rear or side, but it always returns to the center. Hope that clears things up for you.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Registered

Default Thanks

Hey Thanks Macdad,
Did a search, got it figured out. Does the oil flow have to against the direction of water flow ? What difference does it make?
Thanks John
Old 06-20-2003, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Countercurrent flow is best. That way hot oil meets warm water and is cooled down, then this warm oil meets cold water at the far end of the cooler. This maintains the greatest temperature difference between oil and water throughout the cooler and maximizes heat transfer. Or so they say...
Old 06-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Registered

When I was plumbing my engine I also came up with same queston & where should the check valves go. I finally went down to my engine builders shop & took one of his blocks & took pictures. Oil does return in center. If I can find the pictures where ever I have them I will post.

TC- Thanks for explanation of why oil should go towards instead of away. Of course I did not plumb mine that way but since I am not having oil temp problems & the water is only warming up 1-2 degrees I am going to leave this one alone.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:37 AM
Registered

Ok, let me ask this question. Where is the best place to put an oil temp sender? Block? Pan? ?
Old 06-22-2003, 09:19 AM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Yep.

Quick Reply: Oil Flow/Direction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.