Notices

Maximus Five-Blade Propeller

Old 06-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maximus Five-Blade Propeller

Anyone know much about them??

Here is Merc's claim

"We’re really excited about this five-blade prop," said Dennis Cavanaugh, manager of propeller sales and manufacturing at Mercury Racing. "We’ve found we aren’t losing speed at all. In fact, it’s shown to be faster through all ranges. And with lab finishing, we can pick up 300 rpm.

"People don’t spend the majority of their time at top-end; they run most of the time at cruising speed. With this prop, we provide great acceleration, high top-end speed and higher cruising speed. And, it’s smooth. The more blades you have, the smoother it’s going to be."

Boaters frequently underestimate the difference a specific propeller can make to an engine and a boat, said Cavanaugh.

"We had a 36-foot Eliminator catamaran with a pair of 1,000-horse engines with four-blade props, and it reached a top-end speed of 136 miles per hour," he said. "We exchanged the four-blades for the five-blade Maximus, and the boat reached 145 miles per hour. That’s nine miles per hour, which is fantastic. The old saying went ‘The increase of every mile per hour could cost you $1,000.’ Here, just by changing props, we went up nine miles per hour."
Old 06-27-2003, 08:34 AM
Registered

We are anticipating the arrival of the Maximus. Initially I believe that they will be available in a 32P and other pitches will then follow. Hopefully we will see them become available this summer. I will keep you posted!

Julie
Throttle Up Propellers
Old 06-27-2003, 11:06 AM
Registered

Julie,

Thanks for the reply, do you know what they recomend the pitch change from a 4 to a 5 blade?
Old 06-27-2003, 06:02 PM
stevejohns

its a pretty wild prop from what ive read. I wonder if it will ever be made in the low 20's pitch?

Old 06-28-2003, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The Mercury HIGH Five prop

THE MERCURY HIGH -FIVE IS AVALIABLE IN LOWER PITCHES, and runs as fast as a three blade if tweaked alittle/ IT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS ,I like the prop.It has great mid range accleration and is very smooth. I,wonder what the difference between the two props will be other than pitch. Darin

HOUSTON PROPELLER
Old 06-28-2003, 06:49 PM
stevejohns

hmmmm thats 1 prop ive never tried on my 502. I used it alot on my 350 and it worked well. It blew out under hard accel , but worked great for most other things.

Old 06-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 166 Likes on 94 Posts

Darin, the Maximus will be a 15 1/2 diam. Designed for high X dimension. Talked to Merc on Friday, there will be a delay in getting them into production. A couple of months at the earliest, possibly as late as next spring. God, I wrote down the planned pitch ranges but cannot remember what they were (of course I can't remember lunch by dinner time), 36" at the top for sure, I will have to find my notes for the starting pitch.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:10 PM
stevejohns

im pretty sure the 1st ones were going to be 32,,34 and 36in

Old 06-29-2003, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIVE BLADE PROPS

Thanks guy's! The merc high five usually needed a little cup in the tips for a lot better performance ,then it seemed to hook up pretty good, also the Maximus is starting out in very high pitches,That Most do not run go figure,anyway it sounds good with larger dia",as that will make a hell of difference in performance.
Talk to you later/Darin
oh, surley it will be avaliable in both rotation's won't it? left and right