Carb Flooding......SOMETIMES? >

Carb Flooding......SOMETIMES?

Notices

Carb Flooding......SOMETIMES?

Old 06-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carb Flooding......SOMETIMES?

Well I have noticed that all of a sudden my carb has started to intermittenly flood from the rear barrells sometimes only one most times it is both. Now Seems I can set the floats and everything is great....Fuel just below sight plug at idle....Throttle up and recheck...Yep still right on. Then all of a sudden as I finish adjusting the float fuel starts FLOODING out of the back two barrels while running....I mean it a serious dripping goin on. I shut it off and soon I have puddles in my back two barrells! Now I re-adjust the float again and in doing so it stops....So I recheck the float level and get it right....And everything seems o.k. I take her out and no more flooding....I took the carb offyesterday and changed the powervalves and made a slight adjustment on the choke setting. Put the carb back on and take her out last night. Fire her up and Things are looking up. Idles better cold. While waiting on the wife to park the Bronco I take her for a quick spin and then as I idle down it won't idle and dies. I restart her and look at the carb. Fuel is pooring again in the secondaries....I try to adjust the float but there isn't enough adjustment left in the needle and seat assembly to fix the dripping. I check the float level and as I remove the plug FUEL JUST POURS OUT Now remember the float level was checked several times and it was fine. I take the needle and seat out and look at it and everything seems o.k. at least as far as I can see. This is a new needle and seat anyways. Well I adjust the idle up so it will at least run without dying and pick the wife up. We get out a ways on the lake and it still is dripping. After about 15 minutes I recheck and the dripping has stopped.....I run for about anouther 1/2 hour and it has no more flooding....Whats up I mean why would the carb flood one moment and not the next? VERY CONFUSED HERE...Where to start?

BH
Old 06-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Registered

Only other parts that could cause the problem beside the needle & seat is the floats or your fuel pressure is going high.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally posted by Turbojack
Only other parts that could cause the problem beside the needle & seat is the floats or your fuel pressure is going high.
Got to agree. Either the float or needle seat is sticking open. My guess would be float sticking. I doubt your fuel pressure would spike that much to cause this.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Registered

So should I replace the needle and seat assm? Also what should I look for on the floats...They are the plastic ones...HELP

BH
Old 06-30-2003, 01:46 PM
blown1500

Which fuel pressure regulator are you using? how much fuel pressure? Too much pressure or a bad regulator can cause your problem. The float doesn't change by itself, and the white plastic floats are not usually a problem. We generally use the black/dark brown composit ones, but have had no problem with the plastic either. Best luck!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally posted by blown1500
Which fuel pressure regulator are you using? how much fuel pressure? Too much pressure or a bad regulator can cause your problem. The float doesn't change by itself, and the white plastic floats are not usually a problem. We generally use the black/dark brown composit ones, but have had no problem with the plastic either. Best luck!!!!!!!!!
Im not using a regulator...Fuel Pressure is 6.5psi max........

BH
Old 06-30-2003, 08:26 PM
Banned

What kind of carb? I constantly had that problem with a Q jet on a truck. It seemed that the float would cock in the bowl and jam on the side of the bowl. The way I fixed it was to buy a Holley and throw the toilet bowl (Q jet) in the ditch.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:39 PM
Registered

Holley 750. Model 4010
Attached Thumbnails Carb Flooding......SOMETIMES?-carb-pics-008.jpg  

Last edited by BAD-HABIT; 06-30-2003 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 60's era 780 cfm 3310 carbs have front and rear power valves. I use 6.5 in both since I either run idle or WOT, nothing in the middle