Fuel Pressure Regulators >

Fuel Pressure Regulators

Notices

Fuel Pressure Regulators

Old 07-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Regulators

Curious to know about Fuel Pressure Regulators....My Fuel Pressure Seems to run 7lbs at startup and then after running a while it goes down to 5.5lbs...Sometimes it goes back to 7lbs but for the most part it's 5.5lbs. The pressure is either/or I mean it does not run at any other pressures.....now Ive been chasing this for a LONG time and unless someone can tell me something else to check I am going to live with it for now and try to find the cause after the season! I have completley replaced the entire fuel system execpt the tank(but have changed the gas). Some items-Carb,Fuel line,Guage,Filter more than once! I needed to know how regulators work....How do you set the pressure? I mean If I start my motor up and its running 7lbs and I set the pressure(by using the regulator) to 5.5lbs will my pressure then stay at 5.5lbs...Or since I am loosing about a pound and a half of pressure on my motor will the pressure at the carb start at 5.5 lbs and then LOOSE 1.5lbs and fall to 4lbs??? If the regulator will regulate the pressure both maximum and min. then what are some recomendations for good basic regulators? Also do they have to be U.S.C.G approved?

BH
Old 07-04-2003, 09:47 AM
bobby daniels

There have been a couple of good threads on here about pressure and how much to run ..If you have a good regulator and supply then the pressure will drop or stay very close to the setting ,thats the idea ,,, I use mallory or barry grant regs. as they flow alot and i use the return part of the reg. and run a line back to the tank so it circukates and this keeps the pump from dead heading and building heat in the fuel ,plus these res. have a larger than 130 hole in them to flow fuel unlike the holley which in a long run will not flow anough due to the orifice hole
set it on 7 lbs and if the supply to it is good it should stay at 7 or drop very little

what size line and pump and reg., and filter do you have ???

did you check to be sure the tank opening is a large one ?
THE SYSTEM IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE SMALLEST HOLE

Last edited by bobby daniels; 07-04-2003 at 09:56 AM.