Who has parts for KAAMA Drives? >

Who has parts for KAAMA Drives?

Notices

Old 07-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who has parts for KAAMA Drives? I recently purchased a 1983 Formula 402 SR-1, with 454s, Twindisc MG-502 transmissions, KAAMA Surface Drives, and Clever Props. Nobody that I have spoken to knows anything about these drives. Anyone with any info or literature on them would be much appreciated. Even if it's only what kind of oil to use.
Thanks
Andrew
253-208-1133
Old 07-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Registered

Post down in the Formula forum too. A couple of people there have Kaama's on their Formula's too.

-Greg
Old 07-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Registered

Andrew,
I have both a manual on the Kaama and the twin disc.I can make copies and send it to you.I am out of town but will be back on the 17th.Give me a call
Mark
678-522-4873
Old 07-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Registered

Check out this thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ighlight=Kaama
or do a seach for Kaama.
Gary
Old 07-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I also have copies of the Kaama and tranny manuals. I can email you copies if you want. I rebuilt both my drives and trannys. All the tranny part are available through any Twin Disc dealer.

Kaama parts are another story. Cases, shafts and gears are getting scarce. All the bearing and seals are common off the shelf parts. I got all my bearings and seal at my local Precision Industries. The Kaamas are very easy to rebuild, I rebuilt mine before I had the manuals.

Call me if you have any questions. 402 669 9002.

Also OSO member BOOT may have some contacts for Kaama parts. Also you can try Archer Marine in Ca. and Conner Marine in FL.

mike
Old 07-12-2003, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most internal parts in a Kaama can be found at a bearing shop or a machinists. Bring parts and they will be able to match

Bob
Old 07-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

If you contact Ocean Performance in Old Saybrook, CT, they might be able to get the number of the company in Old Saybrook that has the rights to produce replacement parts. I looked at a Sutphen with the same drive set up, but I can't remember the name of the place. If you search, online, for Kaama, Arneson worked with John Conroy..Connell (or something like that) developing that drive. If you email his company, he will personally answer questions for you. He might also know the place in Old Saybrook. Good Luck.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Registered

I have posted a few pics of the boat that I took before I bought it. Check them out at http://photos.yahoo.com/ajd0421 . I have only made one trial run so far and did not have GPS on board that day, if I had to guess I would say we were around the 60+mph mark.

The side of the boat says "WAVEWALKER". I don't much care for the graphics. I will probably heat gun them off before too long.

I really appreciate all the replies and a special thanks to those who have offered to share manuals and info. Those KAAMA's are an odd item. I hope I don't have to find out what the inside of one looks like, any time soon. Pleanty of little stuff needs attention first.

I plan to swap out the tranny Wed. and get her back in the water for another run. Will Let you know how it goes.

I am sure to have some more questions, like how to trim this thing out. I messed with it a little, but didn't figure it out in the short time I had on the first run. The boat seemed to take a long time to plane out. I had the drives down but not the tabs. I am not new to powerboating. For the past 6 yr. I have had a 30' Flybridge that cruises about 30mph. It doesn't require much trimming though.

See ya on the water,
Andrew
Old 07-13-2003, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Christian Gott
... John Conroy..Connell (or something like that) ...
I think you mean John Connor. He was with Betty Cook Through the Kaama years. I haven't talked to Connor Marine, but I have talked to Archer and some place in the mid-west. Both knew their stuff, and if you PM me (so I will get it at the office) I will look up the #'s for both.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Registered

Thanks I have spoken to John Connor. He referred me to Team Archer Marine in S. Cal. Tried to call got recording # disconnected