Upgrade to XZ

Notices

Upgrade to XZ

Old 07-23-2003, 09:49 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to XZ

I'm planning to upgrade my drive to an XZ. Other than a new hub for my prop, is there anything I need to change or modify? I currently have dual Marine Machine rams with the Bravo mounting plate and a Smirek Halo drive shower. Is the housing and top cap the same on the XZ drive as the stock Bravo?

Is this the best upgrade other than an XR or Imco?
My Bravo is a 1999 with under 100 Hrs, runs great, no metal in oil, but I'd like to upgrade on my own rather being forced if it lets go!!!

Thanks
Old 07-24-2003, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to install a new gimble bearing,and limit kits for the trim rams.call me if you need a price on the drive,chris
Old 07-24-2003, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a service bulletin on changing B1 to XZ/XR. You need to change the gimbal bearing, grease seal behind it and the aluminum ring that holds the aft portion of the driveshaft bellows. The XZ/XR gimbal bearing is slightly thinner in height and the sealing ring is not as thick. As far as I could tell the grease seal was the same. The trim rams need to have a plastic spacer put in them to prevent the drive from trimming up as far. This is all to make room for the larger U-joints.

The tool that installs the aluminum ring will tend to wedge itself into the new style ring. When installing the new ring use a little bellows adhesive on the outer portion of the ring and oil the installation tool. Let the bellows adhesive set up then remove the driver tool by cocking it side to side gently until it comes out.

The service bulletin list all the specific part numbers you need. The correct gimbal bearing has a red dot at the 10 o'clock position as installed. You will need to round up a spanner wrench to take the trim rams apart.

Tim T.

Last edited by BadDog; 07-24-2003 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:04 AM
Registered

Pantera,

I installed an XR with Teague mods on my boat as part of the Whipple upgrade. You will need: P/N 30-862540A2 This kit comprises 2 pc trim limit spacers, gimbal brg, bellows sleeve, tolerance ring (holds the bearing in the gimbal housing), and grease seal. I made a tool which works to remove the trim cyl end caps. You'll also need the puller and driver tools to install the bearing. PM me if you'd like to borrow the tools. You'll need to get your props with the bigger hub as well.

Regards,

Mark S.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Registered

You also need diffferent top cases, or your cases machined for the XZ gears.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Thanks for the input, I wasn't sure. Breathe Later, I might take you up on the offer if I buy the drive. $ 3,500 isn't a bad deal at all for a XZ
Old 07-25-2003, 11:19 AM
Registered

Pantera, when I did my upgrade last year my steering and drive shower bolted right on without any modifications. I am using WPM steering and have no experience with Marine Machine rams, but I think that it will bolt right on as well. I don't know if the outside dimension's of the upper are bigger on the XZ, but if they are, my steering had enough clearance to still fit.
You better buy it for that kind of money, and just keep your Bravo as a backup. Good luck!