Warped Carb Throttle Body.... >

Warped Carb Throttle Body....

Notices

Warped Carb Throttle Body....

Old 08-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped Carb Throttle Body....

I have a Model 4010 Holley. (Its the Aluminum Shoe-Box Style). I noticed I had a hard time getting the damn thing on without getting a vaccum leak...I took it off and one side of the bottom of the throttle body has a slight warp to it. About 1/16". What can I do to get this thing flat? Can a machine shop do this? And what kind of precautions should I take?

BH
Attached Thumbnails Warped Carb Throttle Body....-carb-pics-008.jpg  
Old 08-06-2003, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember working for Super Shops when those things hit the market. I got to tell you we had sooo many of them come back because of leaks. I'm surprised you got one that has lasted this long. The only positive thing that these boasted were the annular boosters. No offense but in all do respect I certainly wouldn't invest a dime in having that machined. Save your sanity and replace the thing with a new 4150 style. Life will be so much better.

Take Care
Roby
Old 08-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Money is too tight to fork over for a new one...Actually I really like the ease of working on it. I have spent to much time getting this thing dialed in to just get a new/used one....Though the 650 Sea demons look real nice

BH
Old 08-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They warp from being over tightened on to the intake. Not much you can do to save it. 1/16 is a huge amount to remove from the bottom. This will make it weaker and easier to warp again. It really is the worst carb holley ever built. The durability of the castings is the pits. Start saving ur pennys to buy a new carb asap. You can temp fix it with a good long flat file and a steady hand. slap some paint on a piece of paper and set the carb on it to "blue print" the high points. Carefully file it flat and repeat until paint covers the whole bottom. Remove only the least amount possible to get e seal.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My concern is that if you have it machined then it will be easier for it to warp a second time. Yes those carbs are easy to work on and if you can find someone to machine it for a good price then give it a try. I don't know of any machine shop that will even do a setup for less than $75. One of the problems we saw from the 4010 & 4011 were that they seemed to go though power valves. This was because of the location of the power valve being mounted on the bottom of the fuel bowl. You see sediment would collect on the floor of the bowl and it would get pulled into the power valve. This would sometimes clog the valve and it's ports in the carb causing a lean condition at heavy throttle. Also this same sediment would sometimes keep the power valve from closing at normal cruise or idle causing excessive fuel consumption and loading up too rich at idle. Needless to say it was VERY important to have a good quality filter on the inlet of the 4010 & 4011. We did also find that this series of carbs had a tendency to crack or break at the throttle base. I hope this helps you.

Take Care
Roby

Last edited by robyw1; 08-07-2003 at 11:58 AM.