Crazy Oil Leak >

Crazy Oil Leak

Notices

Crazy Oil Leak

Old 08-07-2003, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Oil Leak

I seem to be leaking oil at high rpm's somewhere in the front left hand side of the motor. I have checked the following....

bolt in crank was sealed...
front timing cover...
oil cooler lines..ok

It is motor oil, not ps fluid.
Here is my question ???
Should the bolts that hold on the waterpump, fuel pump assembly be sealed? Are these bolt holes blind or do they go through the block. Motor is a GEN V
Help...
Thanks
Sheikman
Old 08-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Registered

I have one of those too straight out of the engine shop with 7 hrs. of operation
Old 08-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Dammmm leakssss !!!

sheikman,
Good to see that you are still boating. You might want to check the valve cover for leaks. Sometimes the gasket under the valve cover leaks as well as the vent on top of the cover. Also what about the damper seal itself, does it look OK? Do you have any trim pumps anywhere close to the motor? Just a thought you know?! Any way, the 2 holes that hold the sea pump assembly on are blind. They don't go to the inside of the engine like a small block chevy.

Keep us informed to what you find.

Pwrbt33
Offshore Performance
1-877-gofast1 x-1
Old 08-07-2003, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

It might be leaking from the inside of the balancer. If there is a small scored line on the nose of the crank where the balancer slides on, it can push its way out thru there. Not a common thing but it does happen.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 564 Posts

not sure what to recomend looking for but heres a good way of maybe helping you find where the leak is coming from......
Get some brake cleaner and the night before going out spray down the area where you thing is leaking around.........then spary again before you leave....the nice thnig about brake cleaner is that it dries fast.......then take some talcum powder and powder the area.......go out for a run and take a look to see where the oil is leaking from.......you shoudl be able to see the wet areas in the white powder and help trace it down quicker. Worked for me on my old blazer a few years back!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:29 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Originally posted by Wally
not sure what to recomend looking for but heres a good way of maybe helping you find where the leak is coming from......
Get some brake cleaner and the night before going out spray down the area where you thing is leaking around.........then spary again before you leave....the nice thnig about brake cleaner is that it dries fast.......then take some talcum powder and powder the area.......go out for a run and take a look to see where the oil is leaking from.......you shoudl be able to see the wet areas in the white powder and help trace it down quicker. Worked for me on my old blazer a few years back!
That a great ideal wally.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:48 PM
homan

I had a similar problem ened up being a leak from the cheap ass plastic elbows on the valve cover breathers that went to the spark arrestor. I went to Home depot got brass ones threaded them in and no leak.

Old 08-08-2003, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Could be outdrive lines or fittings you can't see. Check trim oil res. for fullness.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am thinking a leak at the dampner to crank seal. Use the powder trick to see if oil is coming out of the dampner bolt. If so, remove the bolt and washer and clean with brake clean or carb clean and put some rtv under the washer. I use Spectrem 2 (sp?) that is used on windshields. That would be an easy quick step to eliminate that area.

Good luck

PS.. becareful of the brake clean on the fiberglass.. it may soften or stain the interior gel..