Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
reducing prop slip >

reducing prop slip

Notices

reducing prop slip

Old 08-26-2003, 10:20 PM
homan

87 26' I had the same boat just sold it in July had a 502 mag. built to hp 500 pretty much, merlin heads 10:1 comp. 850 dbl. pump, roller valve train gil dry pipes w/pump crossover pipe. That one went 67 gps with a Mirage 23 @4800 but I had a 1:36 bravo 1 upper, that I found out after I sold it. I'm by no means a supreme motor head but alot of people say Oh you gotta rev 5600 to get the power which means pitching down, I say why not spin 5200 and save the motor a bit. But the 4300 is too low it's like driving around 3 500lb passengers, it's a big load on the motor. How do you like the windshield for me it was annoying as hell. Also did you have that little spoiler on the back e-mail me a pict. if you have one. [email protected]

Old 08-26-2003, 11:06 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah at 4300 my blower is making 7 psi of boost. TOO MUCH!!! With the smaller prop and 5400 rpms it was making 5psi and 62 mph.

i lieketh windshield. It sucked withet odl interior BUT i biult anew dash, dash panel, and put drop down bolsters in. SO its not bad the windshield kicks up the winds so when you're sitting in the drop down the wind isn;t too bad and when your standing you get hit with it anyway.

spoiler??? I have a stainless rail on the back if thats what your reffering to. My boat origonally had an alpha/ 330 setup with 1.32 gears. Never did run worth a damn with that setup and every time I took it out i felt like i was about to pop the drive.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:45 PM
homan

nice, that's one thing I couldn't understand why they put those dopey aluminumbases for the seats instead of standups, as far as the spoiler it was about 5" high and looked like the ones on the back of an 82 trans am. My side airscoops were puke yellow I painted them hi flake metallic silver and black. What were the air blowers on the bow supposed to be for. With a blower you sound like you should have more power and speed than mine did

Old 08-27-2003, 09:23 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

definatly dont; have the transam wing. If i did it would have been sawzalled off long ago. I amthignking abtou havign eth side panels removed and glassing the holes over and puting in naca vents ove rteh winter. Should update the look a little.

as for power, 550hp. Shes just a lil huffer moter
Old 09-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Registered

Are you using a digital GPS? I have noticed great variations in the accuracy of analog vs digital. Whenever I tune it is always with digital GPS and Digital GPS Speedo. The best I get is 16% slip. That is on a light daytona cat w/ bravo type drive and lab props. I have tried x-boxes, nose cones and various engine heighgts. I question anyones accuracy to get better unless it is a race boat or professionally dialed in pleasure boat, i.e., Skater.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:06 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i am using a garmin gps76 non mapping.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Registered

Sorry, I meant Digital Tach.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:58 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

tach is a gaffrig with hour meter hooked up to eth gray wire of an MSD box
Old 09-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Registered

16% slip with extreme "V" hulls like ours??!!?? That's not bad at all. Anyone doing much better either has faulty measuring equipment or is VERY optimistic. --- Jer
Old 09-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Registered

Now, Cat's aired out WILL get those #'s down some. --- Jer

Quick Reply: reducing prop slip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.