Tried a 24P Bravo 1

Notices

Tried a 24P Bravo 1

Old 08-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried a 24P Bravo 1

Could only turn 5000 RPM, still had the port tab over 3/4 down (see picture) If I raise the port tab, the RPMs and speed start to increase, but the boat really rolls left bad, almost uncontrollable. Also if I trim up at all from full down, the nose starts bouncing all over the place.

I have checked my drive for play. . .None

I have checked the trim limit spacer. . .its towards the transom

I have tried (5) different styles of props . . . all roll boat

I am at wits end and am getting really disappointed....any other ideas before I give up?
Old 08-28-2003, 07:26 AM
rv
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kirk,
I couple ideas, not sure if you have tried these yet:
1. Check bottom on left and ride side for being straight and having equal amounts of hook.
2. Check for any heavy load that might be on that side of boat. Check cavaties inside of hull, even ones you can't easily get to. Possible water is setting in one that added weight to that side.
3. Maybe caused by prop torque. If so, try smaller diameter prop.

Look for you at the races tonight.

Rick
Old 08-28-2003, 07:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

That really sucks!

I know it's a long way for Jo to come to you, or you to go to Jo, but he would be the man to figure it out.

It is though to tell from your picture, but it looks to me that your tabs are mounted allot higher than mine were on my 89 Pantera, or my 97 Superboat. My k-plans are maybe an inch above the bottom of the boat. Could be why you need to lower it so far before it has an effect. Jo did rig your boat right?

Did you try running your drive at neutral no tabs. With the drive all the way down, my boat leans and drives like ****. Both my 24 Pantera and 24 Superboat track real nice in calm water even at 60+ with no tab, drive neutral or up a little. Maybe a little lean, but not much. Only when it gets rough should you need that much tab.

You are using the right prop. Jo told me to use a Mirage + for speed and Bravo I for overall performance. I tried all kinds of props, those work best for me on both boats.

Hang in there! There is something small that is Fxxxx----ing you.

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 08-28-2003 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:53 AM
Registered

just from the pix...it may not be fact...x-dim looks too low...tabs look to be mounted too high.

...take a spoon and place it under running faucet. do this with your index finger and your thumb. allow it to pivot easy as the rocker touches the water. what does it do???
Old 08-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Have you tried a left hand prop? (or a right if your using a left now)
I get a lot of prop torque lean until I trim to neutral also.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:51 PM
Registered

Just a thought switch tabs port to starboard and vise versa if you can and they don't hit the drive that way the taper is on the outside.Might be that the tab is just catching some fill in water and leaning you over.

Last edited by FloridianSon; 08-29-2003 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Default I did reverse the tabs!!

What do you mean...? You might be on to something, the guy I bought the boat from had the tabs reversed. I put them back and now that I think about it, thats when this situation started to occur. I totally forgot I did that. Maybe this is the cause

Please elaborate about this fill water.

Thanks,

Kirk
Old 08-30-2003, 08:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at my boat and Dave's boat, the straight edge of the K-plane is to the outside. But why not switch them back, One more thing you can check off the list.
Did you ask MM about a second ram?
I spoke to a mechanic at Ocean Performance here in CT about external steering. His opinion is that any boat that goes over 75mph or has more than 600HP should have twin ram steering.
Good Luck this weekend,
Old 08-30-2003, 10:17 PM
Registered

Kirt the first question from me should have been has this happened ever since you got the boat or was it something that just started.If it came with the tabs reversed and you changed them back to the long side to the out side then there is the problem.As the boat displaces the water in front it must come back together at the stern like a wall.If the tabs were not set correct as to the hull then they might just tip the wall of water behind causing the list, even when the are full up.By changeing them back to the taper to the out side pointing to the drive it might not chatch the tip. I guess mine are set right as I can run eather way and no problems, I never tryed to use the GPS so I can't tell you if one is faster than the outher just I was told that taper in was faster so that is where I'm at. James

Last edited by FloridianSon; 08-30-2003 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

How high off the bottom of the hull are those tabs mounted?????
If they are that high, they won't even touch the water till they are way down. Mine are 1" off the bottom and I don't feel them till they are almost half way down.