Milky drive oil

Notices

Milky drive oil

Old 09-07-2003, 10:26 AM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Milky drive TRIM oil

I recently noticed that the drive TRIM oil for my port drive is milky and the trimming stops sometimes when bringing it in or out. There does not appear to be any leaks. Can anyone offer any suggestions for trouble shooting this? I would hate to drain it, put new oil in and then have it turn milky again.

(I edited this to indicate trim oil)

Last edited by bn; 09-07-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Al Oakley

presure and vacum test.with 21psi.use soapy water and spray around the seals untill you find the leak
.and what kind of drive ? the water pump base is allways suspect in alpha type drives,if it is melted under the wear plate replace it.if it will hold 21 psi. of presure and vacum it sould cure your problem

Old 09-07-2003, 10:54 AM
bn
Registered

The boat is a 2002 with bravo I's. I will give that a try - thanks!!

Brian
Old 09-07-2003, 11:10 AM
Al Oakley

brovo check the prop shaft seal first . i see them all the time with fishing line wraped up in the seals .that and bent prop shafts.brovos usaly are preaty good on keeping the water out.some times the seals will grove the shafts .some times you can set the seals at a littile deeper are a littile higher to get some more life out of them

Old 09-07-2003, 06:49 PM
bn
Registered

I miss spoke, I meant to say that my drive TRIM oil is milky. Sorry. Could it be coming in through the trim rams or something?
Old 09-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It can come through the trim rams, trim lines and also I once saw the connector at the underside of the drive were the hoses go into the gimble assembly crack when some one got a little over zenouls with the tightening!!! You can still use the soapy water trick and trim up all the way and when it gets to the top keep trimming for a couple seconds (not to long of you will heat up your trim motor. As far as the unit stopping I would guess it is suffering from the water being in there. There is a good chance that if you get the water out of the thing that you will be ok but water is not a great lubicator and it does cause rust so I would try and get it out of the unit ASAP.

Jon