Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Keith Eckert aluminum headers >

Keith Eckert aluminum headers

Notices

Keith Eckert aluminum headers

Old 09-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Dennis Moore

Those manifolds are great but they are so efficient that they will lean out your engine and the ECM will need to be reprogrammed or, at the least, the fuel rail pressure will need to be increased to compensate. I hate to be pushy here, but my new manifolds are really a high quality piece at a very reasonable price. I really believe in them! Check them out at www.mooreperformance.org
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Old 09-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roby,
The name of the company that now owns the tooling for the KEPP Manifolds is Brummett Marine. The number is 626-792-6410. The person you need to speak with is Carson Brummett.

Good Luck!
Old 09-11-2003, 03:47 PM
jrz
Registered

Check out Teague's pricing on the lite series from Custom Marine, very reasonable.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Registered

I agree with Kaama's first post. The KEPP exhaust will do little now but will respond well with other changes. Also you will be spending a lot more than a "little" over Merc stuff. Also, the peanut port heads on your motor will offer great low end torque and great midrange response. I installed the big valves and pocket ported a set and they worked very well. The peanuts start dropping off over about 4600 but do very well up to that point.

If your boat is running a 25P Mirage at 4800RPM you should be going faster than 61MPH, with a 22'Scarab.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:59 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Dennis/ I also thought additional fuel needed to be added with 415 hp MPI and KE's pipe but a neighbor put some on, no changes to the motor and made out ok. Would go out and peg the stick for a few minutes at a time and never had a problem. I believe he also picked up some rpm in the change??
Old 09-12-2003, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by Whiteknuckle
I installed the big valves and pocket ported a set and they worked very well. The peanuts start dropping off over about 4600 but do very well up to that point.
Whiteknuckle,

Not trying to get off topic here, but are you saying that he "peanut port" heads are still only good to 4600rpm even after pocket/bowl porting and installing larger valves? Just wanted to clarifty---thanks.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Registered

Kaama,
That seemed to be the case with the peanuts. However, it may have been some other issues too. This was what I observed with my engine. Different cam or induction may get a better result at higher RPM. I find it amazing that everyone just wants to write the peanut port head off when actually they are capable of out performing the others up to a certain point. Right now I went with a set of 049 heads I bought from Fred. I still have that set of peanuts in my garage, I might put them back on one day!
Old 09-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, the 049's are very good too! I agree, with a little work the peanut ports are really some very good torquey heads for a 454. Do you remember what cam you were running in the peanut ports?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:34 AM
Dennis Moore

Bob, that is interesting. I would bet that on a hot day or at a higher elevation the engine probably will run fine due to poor air density. A lot of our testing in Los Angeles is at sea level with good air density. He better watch it if the temp cools off and he gets good air!
Thanks for the input.
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Old 09-12-2003, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay are we talking about the Vortec heads? Because the 1998 7.4 MPI does not use the small ovals

Roby

Quick Reply: Keith Eckert aluminum headers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.