Electric fuel pumps - HP500 carb motors

Old 02-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen
Old 02-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Registered

I'm looking at the Aeromotive systems, and would like to know how a boost referenced regulator works with a carb application. Their regulator for carbs (13207) uses intake manifold vacuum to help with regulation and fuel flow.

Is this a "blower" thing, or something that would work with NA motors as well?

Can the boost reference port be capped off and still regulate pressure correctly?

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by p4-33; 02-17-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, but one more question: My Holley Blue setup (see below) has a yellow hose that runs back up to a port in the flame arrestor, and I was assuming this is some sort of vent that needs to return to the carb for USCG spec. Is this the "hole" you're talking about? Or is this the "guage port" that Mallory talks about? If it's the guage port, why does it need to vent back into the carb?

HP350, Thanks. I will call you and see if we can work something out.

Thanks,
Brian [/B][/QUOTE]

Brian, don't confuse the yellow tube going to your spark arrestor with a return line or a pressure port. It is there for safety in case of a valve leak at the pump (keeps fuel out of the bilge). Mechnical pumps also have one in case the rubber diaphragm leaks.
Yes, call me and I'll make you a great deal! Mike.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian,
I ran the Mallory pumps in 2 boats for 1 year out of 4 pumps 3 failed. Went to Magna flows with return systems and have run 3 years without problems.I'm in Romulus if you want to see the systems.
Brian
Old 02-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by p4-33
Thanks, but one more question: My Holley Blue setup (see below) has a yellow hose that runs back up to a port in the flame arrestor, and I was assuming this is some sort of vent that needs to return to the carb for USCG spec. Is this the "hole" you're talking about? Or is this the "guage port" that Mallory talks about? If it's the guage port, why does it need to vent back into the carb?
The holly is a true marine pump. That line is there so if the seal does go bad, the fuel will run up the line and into the carb and be burned. Even the marine Mallory will just dump the excess fuel into the bilge because it doesn't have the hose. This line shouldn't be confused with a return line. A return line would be a 3/8" line going from a return style regulator back to the tank.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, my bypass/return lines are 1/2". They're oversize, but better safe that not.

This yellow hose has been kicking my a$$, and so far, I've only seen it on a Holly Blue setup. Aeromotive's and Mallory's don't use them, even though they have models that are rated USCG approved. Guess I'm just being a little anal on the appearance of my flame arrestors, and don't care to have excess fuel dumped into the bilge. I suppose plugging the flame arrestor ports is an option.

About boost referencing, Mallory tech support tells me it's perfectly normal to cap the boost reference port on a regulator when using in a NA config. Boost referencing is indeed a "blower thing".

You guys have been a lot of help. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Too much plumbing, too little time
Brian