Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Step hull question >

Step hull question

Notices

Step hull question

Old 01-02-2002, 04:53 PM
fishon

Post Step hull question

Own a 32 ' Fountain w/single step hull. Anyone know what part of the hull forward of the step should be in the water when running with medium trim ? Some/none ? I'm trying to install a shoot thru transducer that isn't disturbed by aireation rear of the step. Was thinking of mounting it forward of the step.

Old 01-02-2002, 05:05 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
I can respect what your trying to do but unfortunately none of the depth sounders seem to work very well at speed with or without steps. Look up past posts might help and if you find the solution let us know
Old 01-03-2002, 07:47 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Troutly Prove me wrong
I was basing this off a discussion we had in the spring about how bad they were working. Mine included (I've tried two different makes). I wonder if Formula makes a pocket in the hull to accommodate the sender? What type of finder are they using? Thanks Scott
Old 01-03-2002, 08:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 260 PQ with no step and my depth sounder worked at wot. It was a President and shot through the hull. Try putting your transducer in a baggie with water, and tape it down at different locations and see if you can find one that works most of the time. Fountain should know where the best spot is to install the transducer though.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:39 AM
Registered

Troutly,

What type of depth sounder do they use?
Old 01-03-2002, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 328 Likes on 183 Posts
Does Fountain use a cored hull? If so you will not get good results without cutting through, removing the balsa core and potting the tranducer with epoxy.

Padraig
Old 01-03-2002, 11:54 AM
fishon

All,
The problem is the step and aeration. Fountain has not provided a solution. I have two transduders (both Airmar brand) one on the hull floor in the engine compartment and the other transom mounted. They both work until the boat is up on plane then the aeration issue occurs.
Back to my orignal question. Would any part of the hull forward of the step be in the water with medium trim while on plane.

Old 01-03-2002, 04:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't see how you could get a good reading in front of the step, unless you are driving it with the bow buried. No matter how you slice it, the forward half will see alot of air, the rear half will be aireated, with even conservative trim. Both conditions will give spuratic(sp) readings, as you have confirmed. Troutlys boat may read most of the time do to the fact that his boat may ride a little different, lower(?) in the water. Just a theory.
While of no help, mine is mounted in the engine compartment inside a pvc tube that is glassed to the hull. I have no idea if the tube actually penetrates the engine compartment floor. It works perfectly, except for when in turns and the bottom sees some air.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: US1 Fountain ]
Old 01-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 32 with a depth finder. If you look down as soon as you step through the door,into the cabin you will see a carpeted step. Their should be a latch on the front of it open it up and you will see a bilge pump in their. Fountain also mounted the transducer for the depth finder in that part of the hull.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

What do you do while going 80mph or WOT when the Depth Guage suddenly reads shallow water ... not going to help much. I've only refered to mine when idleing around unknown or shallow water. Do you really need to know how deep the deep water is?

G

Quick Reply: Step hull question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.