Faria Gauges - FOGGING >

Faria Gauges - FOGGING

Notices

Faria Gauges - FOGGING

Old 09-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Faria Gauges - FOGGING

Has anyone had fogging Faria gauges? I have the Pro SS series that I just purchased from Faria online. They were overstocks from an OEM boat builder and are still guaranteed. I was out today in a bit of a rain shower, and my Tach, oil, trim and volt gauges fogged on the inside.

I was under the impression that most of these newer gauges don't fog that much (if at all anymore).

I would appreciate any insight to this issue before I call Faria. I don't want to sound like an idiot.

Thanks!

-Larry
Old 09-14-2003, 08:11 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

My Faria gauges fog every once in a while, my Gaffrig "waterproof series" fog up far more frequently.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Registered

Angry

After some deep digging on Faria's Website, I think I found the answer...

And I quote from one of their .pdf FAQ files:

"Most marine instruments have small vents in their cases to allow a way out for moisture which finds it's way in. It is possible for moist air to be drawn into the vents when the air inside tachometer or gauge cools down after the instrument is turned off. The morning sun can draw this moisture up against the lens causing fogging. This same sun will force the moisture back out of the instrument as well. Turning on the instrument with the instrument light "on" can also speed up moisture removal. Fogging is not abnormal, nor will it harm your Faria instrument, which is built to withstand the harsh environment."

Notice the last sentence...All I can say is WTF?!?? What the hell is the reason for having gauges if you can't read them??