Notices

Oil bypass valves

Old 01-05-2002, 10:02 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Oil bypass valves

OK, need some 'splainin here.

I'm adding the Merc oil filter/t-stat assembly this winter and don't understand the bypass valve. With it rated at 30psi when it opens, wouldn't this mean that alot of your oil will bypass the filter when either cold temps or at WOT when you have 31psi or more?
Also,

Looking at all the oil parts diagrams from '96 on up on the HP500's, SC600,.... they show 3 different configurations.

a) No valve in stat unit. Valve in block.
Alot of your oil will bypass the
filter with this config.

b) 2 valves. One in block and one in stat
unit

c) Valve only in unit housing. A solid plug(?)in block.

What determines which route to go?

It would appear the safest route would be (B)2 valves. 2 Safty factors.

Next safest, but maybe better concept, would be (C). This would force all oil to go thru the oil stat unit.

And finally, could the bypass valve flow enough oil thru it if by chance a filter became 100% blocked, to fully protect the motor?
Thanks
Jerry

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: US1 Fountain ]
Old 01-06-2002, 08:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Noone, Anyone?????

Bump!
Old 01-06-2002, 09:43 PM
turbo2256

Suggest you install filter by-pass system or systems and filter all your oil all the time.

Old 01-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerry, Have you asked Bruce this question? I'd like to have an answer on that also. He should be here any time now to pick up my motor. I'll show him your post.
Eric
Old 01-07-2002, 09:36 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I HAD A 500HP THAT WOULD BYPASS THREW THE VALVE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. WHEN THE OIL WOULD BY[ASS THE OIL TEMP WOULD KEEP CLIMBING UNTILL IT GOT OVER 230. WE FIXED IT BY REMOVING THE BYPASS VALVE & PLUGGING THE HOLE WITH A PLUG. U MUST UNDERSTAND THAT IF YOU DO THIS,AND YOU HAVE AN OIL BLOCKAGE(PLUGGED OIL FILTER,OR COOLER)THE ENGINE WILL NOT BYPASS AND BURN YOUR MOTOR UP.SOME PEOPLE LIKE PLUGGING IT UP. THAT WAY THEY KNOW ALL THE OIL IS GOING THREW COOLER & FILTER.BUT YOU MUST HAVE OIL TEMP GAUGES,AND KEEP GOOD OIL CHANGE MAINTANCE ON MOTORS. RON
Old 01-07-2002, 09:43 PM
mkforsberg

us1 fountain,

I wish i had a remote oil filter and an oil cooler. My sbc has the stock filter on the engine. If you can figure out how to plumb this i would like to know.

the only clue that I have heard is that the bypass valve/oil filter screw on mmount has to be changed to a special merc part. I think merc makes a kit but I don't know anything about it.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2002, 10:44 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Eric
No I haven't. I do have a valve ordered though to put in the housing, forgot to order it when I ordered the unit. I assume yours has one in both places? That is what the '97 models show. I'm starting to lean towards plugging the block.

Wildthing
Thanks. Was this on your '97 and which valve did you plug? I would have to guess the one in the block. I follow your comments about plugged filters. If I do plug the one in the block, this will force all oil up through to housing unit. But will still have the saftey factor of the 2nd bypass valve at the filter. From looking at the flow path at the oil filter/ t-stat unit, the only condition of motor failure would be if the oil is hot to where all oil is routed thru cooler and the cooler gets completely blocked. No flow back thru filter and to motor in this condition. Now, If the oil is cool or warm, oil can go directly to filter if the cooler gets plugged, and thus still to the motor. Course this might be when the uncooled oil will now heat up to where the stat opens fully and forces all oil to go to the plugged up cooler. Boom! A good cooler, but plugged filter, you will still be protected by the 2nd valve, hot or cold.
I don't know if these Merc units flow 100% thru cooler when HOT w/o some oil going to the filter. If they are not 100% flowed, then we actually have less conscern for blockage and failure. And now for another comment. Unless you plug both valve locations, there still is no way to know how much oil will actually go thru the filter itself.
On the positive side, at least all our HP motors do have the low oil pressure warning buzzers, AS LONG AS the pressure sending unit remains in the block AFTER the filtered path.

Flyfast,
A standard cooler and remote filter system is actually very easy. Like you say, gotta have the correct take off.

SO, who doesn't have the slightest idea what I just said?
Old 01-09-2002, 08:41 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerry, Bruce picked up my motor last night. I did show him your post. Said he doesn't like to answer questions about that subject because it all depends on your setup and how your system is plumbed. You may want to ask him personally when you get your heads back.

Bruce took my Merc oil t-stat with him. He's not sure which way we'll go on the oil system yet. May go with a PFM stat and my big Eddie cooler.
Talk later, Eric
Old 01-09-2002, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Call Scoggin-Dickey in Texas (806-798-4000)and have them fax their tech sheet on oiling systems, helps to explain what is going on in the Gen V and VI blocks. Valve rating and placement depend on how you plumb the oiling system.