Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
The fuel line that I got off the internet now leaks >

The fuel line that I got off the internet now leaks

Notices

The fuel line that I got off the internet now leaks

Old 01-07-2002, 12:17 PM
mkforsberg

Post The fuel line that I got off the internet now leaks

When I built my motor I first ran with a rubber line. This line has never leaked and still doesn't leak.

I ordered a stainless line off the internet that didn't last long enough. In my opionion the flare on the double flare are not wide enough and the line wasn't cut square. At least the stock merc line and the fittings for my rubber hose are wider.

The rub is when I first called the price was 25.00. After looking at the line the price went up to 56.06. They said they might have to make it a couple times to do it right. When the line leaked they said no problem we will do it again just send the line back. After they get the line back of course its the carb fitting that leaks and we need another 35.00 to re do the line.

You can say that wasting 80.00 isn't bad for a 25.00 fuel line but that is over 3 times the estimated cost to bend a line and flare it twice. This is also how to make a 25 dollar sale into a 100 dollar sale. I guess business it tight and over the internet you can burn millions of people before the word gets out. I was happy with paying double you can almost expect it with a boat but when the cost is 3x over the estimate that is too much.

You know it is nickles and dimes compared to the donzi blister boat. Do a search on the donzi blister boat and check it out.

Where are you getting your stainless lines bent?

Old 01-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we make our own, a tube bender and a flare kit. easy stuff to do
Old 01-07-2002, 12:42 PM
CHEVAS

I bend my own ss lines, I pack them full of sand and use a good small bender just make sure you clean the tube real good, sand dosnt burn good.

Old 01-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Darn. I was going to use these guys too. For the cost break between having to by the benders and having it done, the trouble of shipping would have been worth the hassle. Where do you feel the blame should lay? Do you feel that they were trying deceive you?
Old 01-07-2002, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flare tool and the the springs to bend the tubing have worked Ok for me. You just have to remember to bend it before you flare it or the spring is on there forever.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:55 PM
PanteraInVentura

Flyfast,

I hate when that happens. What I really hate is when the shipping and handling, cost just as much as the product bought.

You could have made your own line with the money you've spent already and room for screw ups.

Good Luck

Old 01-07-2002, 05:26 PM
mkforsberg

cord,

All that I can see is that the flare is wider on the factory and the fittings that I use for the rubber hose. The fare looks a little thin on the carb side.

The merc tubing appears to be a heavier or thicker tubing.

I don't know why it started leaking. It leaks at higher rpms. I don't understand how it could be the carb fitting when my rubber line does not leak.

I guess i compare my boat to my chev truck which may be wrong. With my truck if it breaks I can call autozone and they may quote me 50.00. When I pick up the part it is the same price 50.00. If the part doesn't work which hardly ever happens with my truck they always make good on the part.

When I used the word "boat" they used the word custom and the numbers went up. When a part is but on a boat many people will not back their part. I look at the line as a chevy fuel line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb. What difference does it make that it is for a boat or a car? What is the markup or proffit on 30" of 3/8 stainless and two fittings?

You guys are right with the shipping I should have done it myself. What type of flaring tool is used to double flare the stainless. I have heard that it needs to be hot to bend and flare?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2002, 06:22 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Stainless isn't double flaired as it will crack. I got my kit from Grainger, it is capable of both the single and the double flairs. The hardest thing about flairing, is getting the length right. You need to account for the length that is lost when the flair is made. Of course if you get it wrong, the whole tube is shot.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Registered

I make my own as well.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:28 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How are you guys bending the SS fuel lines?

I have the carb bowls hard lines with -an nuts & sleeves from CP Performance and I can't get that chit to bend. It broke a regular tubing bender.

Quick Reply: The fuel line that I got off the internet now leaks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.