HP engine mounts

Notices

HP engine mounts

Old 09-29-2003, 06:38 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP engine mounts

Are stock style solid mounts as good as offshore mounts? It would be a ton of work to convert my aluminum L angles to accomodate offshore mounts, I was thinking these solid mounts would save a lot of work.
Attached Thumbnails HP engine mounts-mm-0035-1.jpg  
Old 09-29-2003, 08:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Offshore mounts give extra strength to the hull as well. They don't go out of alignment unless the boat bends or something. There are some out there (I think Gil) that use the same mounting as above but also offer the "cross Bar" for the added strength. I know "Scott" re-mounted his on his PQ This way
Old 09-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I used the Eddie Marine mounts on my boat. I have a experienced some movement in the mounts, but I havn't bothered to trace the source down.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:21 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

The solid mounts I installed still have a stud that the motor sits on but it is NOT adjustable the large nut holds the mount down flush and you do not have a adjustable nut under the flange like you have pictured.
I removed my old L brackets and installed new ones so I could drill new mounting holes and filled the old stringer holes.
It sounds like a lot but it was not that big of a deal and now my motors do not move. It had gotten out of hand where I would have to readjust the old mounts (nuts backed off) every few hours. In the beginning when I was not aware of what was going on I actually had a engine break the mounting bolts and it fell over on to a stringer laying on the Alternator bracket
If it was me I would not even think twice about the little bit of extra work and expense to do it right with solid mounts.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to go to the offshore style too, especially now that my engines are out (and everything elese for that matter).

Scott what type did you get? How did you get the alignment right?
Old 09-29-2003, 11:37 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

the offshore was a pain in the ass to install but so nice once it was in. teh engein just plopped ina a nd ligned right up.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

We used a empty scrap block to do the alignment. I have also heard of guys using plastic blocks. When we put the fully dressed motors back in they lined right up.
With the Gill mounts they function like true offshore mounts but allow you to Take the motors in and by removing one large nut on each side. I have checked it many times and the nut has not backed off or come loose after many hours. I guess with the solid mount and not having the bottom adjusting nut it stays where you put it
Old 10-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

How about some links to Offshore motor mount MFG. companies?
I want some but can't seem to find complete assemblies.

DO I HAVE TO "MAKE" THE STRINGER MOUNTS?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Registered

They're available through Merc as a stock item.
4 x 4 x 1/4" aluminum L angle is all thats needed to make the stringer mounts. Just hang the engine in place and bolt up the bell housing to transom plate. Align the motor hanging there. Clamp the aluminum to the stringer and motor mount and drill your holes.
I've never used anything other than the plates to mount a motor. They never move.
Gary
Old 10-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary,

I'm too looking at the stringer mounts. Will the Mercs fit inside my current stringers? Also the back mount looks like it goes between the bell housing anf the block. Will I need to buy a new bell housing that has the starter mounted on the back of the engine?

Thanks

Quick Reply: HP engine mounts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.