XR / IMCO DRIVE UPGRADE

Notices

XR / IMCO DRIVE UPGRADE

Old 01-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post XR / IMCO DRIVE UPGRADE

I have gotten multiple answers to the question:

What do I need to change/modify in order to replace my Bravo 1 drives with XRs?

What do I need to change/modify in order to replace my Bravo 1 drives with Imco SCs?

Help

Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-09-2002, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts
Shawn, I'm pretty sure the new IMCO SC is an entirely redesigned case, although it will still bolt up to a Bravo One transom assembly. So to answer your question, you wouldn't be able to modify your Bravo One to an IMCO SC drive. You will obviously have to buy their entire new drive design. However, I believe there are some guys on this forum who're having their standard Bravo Ones upgraded to XR status with the larger internals. Sit tight and I'm sure you'll get more input on this thread.
Old 01-10-2002, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you want to replace your std bravo with an XR drive you need to change the gimble brg,the sleeve that holds the bellows in place,and install limit kits in you trim rams.all very easy to do.we throw those parts in if you buy an XR from us.i think that if you try to modify your drive to make it like [almost] an XR drive you will spend almost the same as if you bought a complete new XR and sold you std bravo.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Registered

Sterndrive, What will the cost be for an XR with the new Merc 2" short bottom. Are they available yet? I understand they will be introduced at the Miami Show. I would buy instead of upgrading mine so I would have a spare set of drives in case of emergency.
How does the Imco stack up against the XR?
What is involved in replacing the sleeve, does the gimbal bearing need to be removed or just the bell housing?

Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-13-2002, 12:56 AM
BACK 4 MORE

Question

Merc is comin out with a shorter lower case too?
Is that right?
Wow...they sure are chasing down IMCO!

Old 01-13-2002, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts
Hmmmmm...perhaps MerCruiser is coming around a bit when it comes to the Bravo drive. Sounds like a little competition is driving them a little harder.

I wonder if the new Merc shorter gearcase is just as streamlined as the IMCO is? If not then it's just another example where they have fallen short of expectation on the Bravo drive. MerCruiser is like one of the BIG daddies(if not THE BIGGEST) within the marine industry...especailly when it comes to marine performance. And though they may not have intended to use the Bravo One drive for performance use, that is the way the market is going...it has a snowball effect that is now hard to stop. Therefore, I believe Merc needs to take more of a leadership role when it comes to the Bravo One instead of a reactionary role. But perhaps if other companies like The Bravo Shop, IMCO and others didn't try to improve the Bravo One drive then they probably would NOT have tried to improve what they already have and still corner the market on it and still make BIG $$$. So I think the competition has made them sqirm a little bit which is a very GOOD thing!
Old 01-13-2002, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why doesn't MerCruiser do the right thing and buy the rights to the B-Max and be done with it. Product name protection- no more broken drives.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:18 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

why don'ttehy just lower the price on SSM series drives and solve the whole blowing up bravo question??? They still make SSM3a drives and for mild performance application its pretty damn tough. It would hold up a hell of a lot better than the bravos. And if givven eth choice for a little more money (dreaming merc would reduce the price tad) wouldn't you want Speedmasters????
Old 01-15-2002, 07:50 AM
Registered

shawn i haven't seen the prices on merc's new gearcase yet,i will be at miami to check it out.you have to change the gimble bearing,the sleeve that hold's the bellows and add limiters to the trim rams.the bellhousing is the same.as far as the b-max goes they seem to hold up ok but on the ones that were tested by a boat builder i work with they were MUCH slower.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Puder... the problem I see with the Speedmasters is the need for $3000+ props (beyond the listed price).

I like the Konrad better. Konrad offers a streamline lower, rated at 800HP, offers a standoff box that holds the trans, and can run standard props. OHHH, by the way, it is less expensive than the speedmasters.

Any thoughts on this package?

Quick Reply: XR / IMCO DRIVE UPGRADE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.